Quicktime unexpectedly quits when opening .AVI

Frequent Flyer

Registered
For some reason, Quicktime is not letting me watch .AVI videos taken from my Canon Powershot digital camera once downloaded onto my computer. It has worked in the past, but just recently stopped. When I click to open a video, Quicktime opens but then quits and an 'Unexpectedly Quit' error message comes up.

When I try to import the .AVI videos into iMovie, for example, iMovie also quits. But when I post the .AVI videos on YouTube, I can view them fine once they're uploaded there.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks!

IIRC, Canon uses a proprietary codec for its .avi videos. Search this forum for references to it. Also, check Canon's website. You might also do a Google search.

Mine sometimes quits once AVI's have finished. Not all the time though. Never quits at start. Cant remember which codecs i used though sorry.

If it used to work, it could be that other codecs you have installed (most likely Divx) are trying to take over the AVI handling and not doing a good job of it. Go to the /Library/QuickTime folder, remove all the items within, and restart QuickTime Player. You might also need to remove items from ~/Library/QuickTime (that's the Library folder within your Home folder, for those who don't speak Unix).

If I'm right, you might want to install Perian instead of Divx. It's much better and more compatible than Divx in my experience.

Back