raid degraded

wellie2005

Registered
Hi,

Some questions I can't really find on the Apple website.

I installed a Xserve G5, and used the second and third bay's as mirrored software RAID set. This is a standard option in the Disk Utility.
Everyday the third bay is replaced by a spare bay and ofcourse the RAID set is automatic rebuild with the Disk Utility.

I also replaced the second bay with the spare one and the RAID set is still visable for the users and the rebuild is taking place in the background.

After completion of the rebuild - no error messages - I still have the RAID set on degraded status.

I checked with the terminal: sudo diskutil list & diskutil checkRAID

f.e.

0 disk0... online
2 disk2.... online
2 Unknown missing/

In the detailed list I can't find this Unknown disk. So I can't delete it or repair it, still it's degraded.

From my point of view, the way how to work is ok, but Disk Utility is not in sync?

command: diskutil updateRAID raid 3 disk0 disk0 (3 = /dev/raid)

Any thoughts?

2/ Save info

Currently I've one OSX startup disk, created a clone for just in case, but what happens in the worst thinkable scenario: I'v to do a complete new installation. Does the software RAID keep the RAID info set?

I tried to boot up with the FireWire Target Disk Mode, but it only shows the startup disk and two empty? disks?

thanks, by the way, I've Tiger 10.4 as OSX server.

Hi

We have quite a few Xserve's running software RAID's but in a slightly different configuration to the one mentioned above.
We run the first and second bays as a RAID1 mirror that is image from our standard carbon copy cloner disk image. 3rd bay contains snapshot drive that is run twice a day 1pm and 7pm by using psyncx.
This gives us a bootable live backup of data twice a day and in the event of both drives in the mirror failing we can be up and running in 5 mins off the snapshot drive.
With this config you can also rotate the snapshot drives for an offsite backup

The software raid info is stored on the drives, this means you can remove the raid and insert the same set into another xserve without raid degardation.

I dont think the sw raid will show up under firewire target disk mode

I use a bootable firewire drive to repair any issues as needed

Regards
Ed

'got a PB G5 with 2 striped WD 80's to boot into FireWire Target mode (hold down T while booting THEN plug in firewire to other computer). showed up as 1 big 149GB disk. Disk Util recognized it as a RAID array.

Nick

edadams said:
Hi

We have quite a few Xserve's running software RAID's but in a slightly different configuration to the one mentioned above.
We run the first and second bays as a RAID1 mirror that is image from our standard carbon copy cloner disk image. 3rd bay contains snapshot drive that is run twice a day 1pm and 7pm by using psyncx.
This gives us a bootable live backup of data twice a day and in the event of both drives in the mirror failing we can be up and running in 5 mins off the snapshot drive.
With this config you can also rotate the snapshot drives for an offsite backup

The software raid info is stored on the drives, this means you can remove the raid and insert the same set into another xserve without raid degardation.

I dont think the sw raid will show up under firewire target disk mode

I use a bootable firewire drive to repair any issues as needed

Regards
Ed

Back