Reformatting Mac OSX

WhiteArrow3800

Registered
Hello, I believe this to be in the correct section since I am currently running with bootcamp, but I intend set up the dual boot differently after this.

As mentioned I'm running bootcamp with Windows XP. I've recently run into a problem with the machine. I don't have the knowledge to determine if this issue is actually a hardware issue or software, but I had figured I could reformat the HD easily enough and find out, especially since I had been meaning to reformat and try Parallels or VMware for a while now anyway.

Anyway the issue started about a week ago. I use my MacBook at work to run AutoCAD. While at work the computer locked up and everything tinted green. I attempted to restart the machine and it managed to get itself into an "indefinite restarting loop" to which I shut it down after an nearly an hour of it trying to boot up. I let it sit and came back to it and made a few attempts to get it running, to which it would freeze and tint green. Then I tried to boot it up on the OSX partition and this resulted in the same thing except the screen tinted pink as soon as I clicked on something. I eventually got the windows side to run long enough to back-up everything I needed. If anyone has any idea what may be causing the issue or if this sounds like a hardware problem, I'd enjoy a little help, if there's any info I can get you to help determine this I'd do my best. Thanks in that regard.

But here's why I started this topic. Now I can't get the computer to do anything. Trying to boot XP doesn't even reach the login/welcome screen anyomre before it locks up. Likewise booting OS X displays the apple logo and then the screen goes dark and it displays a message telling me to hold the power button and restart the computer. I inserted my OSX disc and I get the same result when trying to boot off of that, same thing holding the D key and the C key. So now I'm stuck. One thing I had thought of but hadn't yet tried was trying to reformat through the windows command prompt, which I may try once I post this. Any thoughts/idea to help me out?

Sorry for the semi-long read. Thanks in advance!

[edit] I didn't think formatting through the command prompt would work, and it didn't.

Last edited:
When you are trying to start up the book with a disk, you need to use the power adaptor as it will not boot up with the battery alone. And I don't think reformatting via windows will work as your windows side is a virtual partition.
Try these:

If you're using a MacBook or MacBook Pro, check the battery level. Press the small button on the battery or on the side of the computer. You should see lights indicating the battery's level of charge. If you see just one light blinking, the battery needs to be recharged. Use the computer with the adapter connected to recharge the battery.

Unplug the power adapter from the electrical outlet and from the MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro. Wait one minute. Plug it back into the wall first, then to the computer. Make sure the electrical outlet is working by plugging in another device (such as a lamp). When you plug the adapter back into the computer, the power adapter LEDs should light up green or amber.

Inspect the MagSafe port on the computer for debris, such as metal stuck to the magnet in the port, which might prevent the connector from seating properly. On the adapter side, look at the DC connector for dust or other debris and check whether pins are missing, bent, or stuck down. If you find any of these to be true, see Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters for instructions on cleaning the adapter.

Make sure you are using the adapter that was designed for your computer. If you aren't sure or if you need a new adapter, learn which adapter is appropriate for your computer.

Press the control key, the command key, and the power button simultaneously and hold for three seconds to try to restart the computer.

Reset the PRAM. After pressing the power button, hold down these keys simultaneously: Command-Option-P-R, until you hear the startup chime at least one additional time after the initial startup chime.

Reset the SMC for the MacBook And MacBook Pro by removing the AC power, removing the battery and then holding down the power button for five seconds. On the MacBook Air, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once. Note: You must use the keys on the left side of the MacBook Air keyboard.

If you recently installed additional memory, make sure it is correctly installed and is compatible with your computer. Remove the new memory to see if the computer starts up properly without it.

If you are still unable to start up your computer after trying each of these steps, schedule a service appointment with either an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Back