Releasedate for Doom 3 announced

Well, the game also provides a much higher number of polygones, which is the job of the cpu. So, I think the cpu performance also plays an important role but probably not as much as the graphic unit does. However, nvidia is not that desperate and stupid to produce a gpu only for one application / game. They probably optimized it for the doom 3 engine guessing it will become the No. 1 benchmark tool for 3d hardware as it was with quake3. But "MADE specifically for Doom3" doesn't make much sense to me. I am really curious how the port will be. I mean, Carmack proved he has a big heart for macs if you think of the quake3 performance on macs..

Zammy-Sam said:
Well, the game also provides a much higher number of polygones, which is the job of the cpu. So, I think the cpu performance also plays an important role but probably not as much as the graphic unit does. However, nvidia is not that desperate and stupid to produce a gpu only for one application / game. They probably optimized it for the doom 3 engine guessing it will become the No. 1 benchmark tool for 3d hardware as it was with quake3. But "MADE specifically for Doom3" doesn't make much sense to me. I am really curious how the port will be. I mean, Carmack proved he has a big heart for macs if you think of the quake3 performance on macs..
Heh, I wish I can dig up the link, maybe later. Nvidia has admitted that they made the 6800 specially for John Carmack. That was their whole marketing strategy. It's not some secret propoganda, they're actually proud to champion Doom3, the same way ATI is the brand of choice for Half-Life 2.

Polygon crunching is more GPU bound, unless the programmers are stupid (which they aren't) and made the CPU do all the work when the GPU could do it much faster.

mkwan said:
MacCentral just released the first benchmarks of DOOM 3 on a Power Mac dual 2.5 GHz

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03/02/doom3/index.php

it seems like the performance was a little disappointing than expected when compared to the PCs

Anybody else see this?

-Higher-end penalty

Doom 3 has very demanding system requirements -- the highest we've seen on a Mac game to date. A 1.5GHz G4 is the minimum, along with an ATI Radeon 9600 or Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics system with at least 64MB VRAM. These specs aren't wildly out of sync with Doom 3's PC counterpart, either -- this game really asks a lot of hardware regardless of platform.-

So, I guess it will run on G4's after all.

Well, unless you seriously max the graphics, it'll still be better than (say) the xbox version.

A TV can only do 30 fps, regardless what the unit is cranking out.

Back