Renamed (and subsequently lost) everything

jbenedik

Registered
I've been using Linux at work for a month or two now, so I apologize for how basic of a problem this may be.

After work one day I decided that in the hopes of becoming even more proficient, I would solely use Unix on my own Mac at home. In an attempt to re-organize my folder system to be more command line friendly I decide to rename (make lowercase) all the directories I use most.
First I renamed everything in the home directory (eg Desktop -> desktop).
After doing other internal files, I then changed the name of my user to also make it lowercase.

Everything was fine for about 30 minutes, and then my computer just stopped processing and I got the infinitely spinning rainbow. I restarted the computer, and logged into my account (uppercase, as before) which has the original file system in place, but everything is empty.

The strange part is, the other user account and all the files are still accessible.
So at least I'm not completely screwed, but I'd really prefer not having to go back and re-setup preferences for every program and actually be able to use my music.

My external just broke last week, so I'm actually without a backup to just restore.
My only idea to fix it was to just copy things over to the new account through terminal. There are two problems with this. First I don't know of a way to preserve my file system that isn't just remaking every directory manually. Second, my computer doesn't have anywhere near the free space to support two of everything and I'm worried I may lose it if I just move it all over.

So yes, in retrospect I know this is a very very very stupid of an idea on my part, but I would seriously appreciate any ideas/help you guys could give me.

Back