Reset Software Update service

Whitehill

Registered
How can I reset the software update service to its original state? Forget everything that's happened and start all over again.

I would seem that I did the right thing but didn't have the patience to wait for the change to finish. Here's what I did.

• Stop the service.
  • Delete the directory /usr/share/swupd/html.
  • Configure settings.
  • Start the service.

The last step appeared to do nothing - it stayed stopped. I quit for the day.

This morning I looked in and - lo! - the service was running, it had fetched 92 (!) items occupying almost 2gb. It would be helpful to have a progress meter.

Whitehill said:
I would seem that I did the right thing but didn't have the patience to wait for the change to finish. Here's what I did.

• Stop the service.
  • Delete the directory /usr/share/swupd/html.
  • Configure settings.
  • Start the service.

The last step appeared to do nothing - it stayed stopped. I quit for the day.

This morning I looked in and - lo! - the service was running, it had fetched 92 (!) items occupying almost 2gb. It would be helpful to have a progress meter.

So aparantly you did all oke. So the lesson, start the service and wait a (couple of) days to get it running ? A more detailed status indication indeed would be quite usefull.

Good luck, Kees

That is good to know, I was having a similar problem with a cset of corrupt updates, Thanks.

How are you configuring your clients to access the software update, I have been struggling for a while and cannot get them to connect and pick the updates ? Any help gratefully recieved.

Tommo said:
That is good to know, I was having a similar problem with a cset of corrupt updates, Thanks.

How are you configuring your clients to access the software update, I have been struggling for a while and cannot get them to connect and pick the updates ? Any help gratefully recieved.

There is a utility for that. The name of the utility is 'Software Update Enabler'. I use it and it works oke. Some mentioned it in another thread in this are, so check it out.

Good luck, Kees

Thanks Kees, that is not really my problem though. I need to get software update to run everytime a Mac starts regardless of the user and install any critical updates. I have a script that will run as root, but cannot get it to run under Launchd.

Any help would be much appreciated ?

Back