Restore Thunderbird accounts, email etc from backup

icerabbit

Registered
I'm trying to find some help with a Thunderbird issue. Might be something simple, but seems like I'm hitting a brick wall.

Since there isn't much TB discussion/troubleshooting in the places I've visited, I hope there are some experienced TB users here who can help. (crossing fingers).

I have a backup of my library, which includes my ThunderBird 0.5 profile and all the mailboxes and mail therein. Prefs are also saved in the preferences. Etc. I did a fresh install of OS X and installed TB 0.6.

Problem: I can't restore my old profile? or get all three mailboxes restored/re-imported?

I've tried different things and some combinations. Copied my old profile next to new default, removed new default. Nada. Copied the backup mailboxes into the new profile ... The most I get is the main mailbox, with the same name as the profile. 2 other mailboxes, even though copied into place do not show?

Thinking 0.6 would upgrade things from a working 0.5. I reverted back to TB 0.5 hoping TB 0.5 would recognize all three. Trashed 0.6. Installed 0.5. Copied backup profile into place. Only one mailbox shows?

---> What's the working procedure to restore my accounts, email, settings and rules from my old TB 0.5 library backup to my new T.B 06 ?

Thanks for your help!

I appear to have things working now with ThunderBird 0.6.

I started over.
Installed ThunderBird 0.5
Re-created all three previous accounts manually.
Copy/pasted the mail & other settings from underneath each account that was backed up - over the new mail & settings underneath each recreated account.
Upgraded to TB 0.6

Apparently copy/pasting the profile and/or accounts under mail doesn't work, even though things have the same name, account ...

Oh well. At least it works now :)

Back