Running windows

supanatral

Registered
A family member of mine went into an apple store and saw someone push two buttons on the keyboard of their macbook pro and it automatically switched to windows. Does anyone know how to do that

P.S. it impressed him so much that he's been successfully converted!

apple-tab switches between applications. Hold those two keys down, then release the tab key to view the applications switcher. It could also be exposé, keys F9-F11.

So in other words, you can't run windows like bootcamp does in the background at the same time as running mac osx?

They were probably running Windows on Parallels, which is a software package that acts as a virtual machine. If you're using Boot Camp, you have to reboot the Mac in order to access the Windows installation.

nixgeek is right. I run WinXP (and Ubuntu Linux) simultaneously in separate Parallels windows on my MacBook Pro. I run each of those windows in full screen mode on separate desktops provided by VirtueDesktops. The end result is that I can change the desktop with a quick touch of 3 hotkeys (ctrl+cmd+left). Since each VM runs in full screen mode, it looks like I'm flipping between fully operational OS X, Windows and Linux environments.

The cool thing is...I am. :)

Hope this helps.

another way of doing it is setting up a new user account, and switching Fast User Switching on. then, logging into the new user, use parallels to run windows full screen.

use Fast User Switching to effectively 'Fast OS Switch', with the full cube animation. this may have further benefits in that Parallels may use less resources if it's running in the background of an inactive user... dunno, would like to see numbers on that.

System Preferences > Accounts

unlock it, then go into Login Options. at the bottom is Enable fast user switching.

When fast user switching is turned on, the name of the current user is displayed in the upper-right corner of the menu bar. You can click the name to select another user to switch to.

That was a good Idea, except one thing, its difficult to switch the users back when you in full screen windows mode.

I did find another idea though; theres a program called desktop manager where you can have multiple desktops under one user. All you need to do to switch between the two is bring your mouse to the far right or left and leave it there for a couple of seconds, and it will go to your other desktop.

There have also been third party solutions to give you virtual workspaces in Mac OS X, but I can't remember their names now. :rolleyes:

but at which point, you may as well just have it in the first way someoe suggested in this thread. best way, IMO.

Cmd-H hides the active application (say, Windows in Parallels). Cmd-Tab lets you switch back to Parallels. No need for any of those fancy modern virtual desktop features.

Cmd-H hides the active application (say, Windows in Parallels). Cmd-Tab lets you switch back to Parallels. No need for any of those fancy modern virtual desktop features.

That is true, however when i went to view desktop, it moved windows xp up so it blocked the top bar in OSX, which covers over the fast user switch bar. I find the multiple desktops more seamless to switch between the two, I can even use smackbook so that when i smack the side of my macbook pro it will switch between the two windows :)

Back