Safari History

Chris18

Registered
Hello all,

I'm new here and saw the "Don't ask without searching first" post, but then saw the search is not currently working...

So forgive me if this has been asked, and just post a link to the thread if it has.

Okay- Safari- I'm using a web-based email program to get my wife a Mother's Day present. Problem is- Safari shows the email subject titles in the history! The only way I can find to clear it is to "Clear History" which would clear everything. This would let her know I'm up to something, and also delete lots of research links we both have...

So does anyone know how to delete specific history caches, or whatever they'd be called?

Thanks in advance.

(And yes, it really is for a Mother's Day present, not the usual reasons for clearing history...)

Quit Safari

Go to the Library in your User Directory (Users -> user name -> Library -> Safari).

Find the History .plist

Open it in TextEdit (you'll have to double click on the file - dragging it to the app wont work)

Find all of the history links that you want to delete (make sure you delete the entire code string from <dict> to </dict> for each history)

Save the file

The next time you open Safari your history will be cleaned, and show only the history you want.

Hope this helps. :)

QuadPusher said:
Quit Safari

Go to the Library in your User Directory (Users -> user name -> Library -> Safari).

Find the History .plist

Open it in TextEdit (you'll have to double click on the file - dragging it to the app wont work)

Find all of the history links that you want to delete (make sure you delete the entire code string from <dict> to </dict> for each history)

Save the file

The next time you open Safari your history will be cleaned, and show only the history you want.

Hope this helps. :)

It helped me get rid of it from Safari. :D

But now how do I get rid of the history.plist from the recent documents? :lol:

Thanks!

You can delete individual History items directly in Safari by selecting them and then hitting the delete key.

Chris18 said:
It helped me get rid of it from Safari. :D

But now how do I get rid of the history.plist from the recent documents? :lol:

Thanks!

Your welcome.

I'm not sure how to get the listing out of your Recent Documents, but on the upside: even if your wife notices it, and happens to follow the link she won't be seeing anything that would really give you, or your gift, away. ...I suppose you could open some other files until the .plist is pushed out of the list.

Delete the ''com.apple.recentitems.plist' from User/Library?preferences. Restart.

Back