Samba Problems

Leighton Fehr

Registered
I have recently upgraded my Mac G4 from OSX Server 10.1 to 10.1.1 and have encountered an unusual problem with Samba.

I had created a number of Samba shares before the upgrade with no difficulty. After I created the shares, I would edit /etc/smb.conf to add two lines to force certain permissions when users added files into these shares. The lines were:
create mask = 0775
force create mode = 0775
I would then save /etc/smb.conf and restart Windows Services and everything would work fine.

Well, now that I've upgraded from 10.1 to 10.1.1, I can't seem to make the same changes and have them hold anymore. When I make the changes I want to /etc/smb.conf I can save the file, but when I restart Windows Services, my changes are lost.

I think that Samba is overwriting my changes with a default config from somewhere, but I don't know where.
Has anyone seen this before, or has a better way to configure Samba?

Also, everything I've read, recommends using SWAT to configure Samba, but I can't get swat to run for some reason. I've edited /etc/services and /etd/inetd.conf like it said in the swat man pages, but no luck. The server is still refusing a connection on port 901.
Any ideas?

Leighton

I was also having a similar problem and here is the solution I ran accross while looking through the Apple mailing list for Mac OS X Server.

Check out http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin...ids&keyword=&daysWithin=&val=106570&x=54&y=12

Knowledge Base document 106570.

You essentially modifiy the smb.conf file directly and then lock it with
chflags uchg smb.conf.

Restart the windows service and you are in business. If you want to change the config file or alter you configuation within the server admin tool, just unlock the file chflags nouchg smb.conf

While this is less than elegant, it does work. Hope this helps

Robert

Back