Same problem with 2 different routers

sappleton

Registered
I have tried changing routers twice now, I am meant to have an 8meg braodband connection but when I do a speedtest the speed ranges from 100kb-4.2 meg. Most of the time its at about 200-500kb.

I have full strength signal so can't work out what the problem is.

In short, its your internet.

First of all an 8meg line is not 8 megaBYTES its 8 megaBITS. so its not as fast as it sounds. Plus when they say 8mb, they mean that in the best case senerio, you may get 8mb however they don't promise a thing.

I also have a 8megabit line and I'm able to get about 700kilobytes per second. However, I'm the nearest house to the internet hub so that why.

Last of all, I wouldn't be worried about what the speed test says, what is more important is how fast you can download a file from a site.

When I try downloading directly from a site I will sometimes get 10kb a second and sometimes get 500kb a second, it just keeps going up and down

When I try downloading directly from a site I will sometimes get 10kb a second and sometimes get 500kb a second, it just keeps going up and down

Please specify if you are talking about bits or bytes. The difference = 8, so 500kbit is bad, but 400kbyte (= 4mbit) is oke.

Also take in mind that the site your are downloading from is the main factor in the performance you get.

Also some providers have another number for download performance and that can reduce your performance even when everything else is 100% perfect. They also limit the download for a number of users to a certain value, no problem when the actual number of users is low, but e.g. 10 users have a limit to 30mbit, than after 4 users downloading full speed the next user will cause the other users to loose performance.

Variation in download from sites is in general an indication how wel visited a site is and / or how well the site can handle large amount of downloads.

Good luck, Kees

Back