Screen resolutions for an LCD/flat panel monitor

garysims

Registered
Hi,

I currently use my Intel Mac Mini on an aging 17 inch Dell monitor. It works fine except that not all the resolutions available on that monitor are present in System Preferences->Displays and at the moment I am stuck at 1024x768!!!

But that isn't a problem, I am now thinking of getting an LCD/Flat panel monitor. Looking at my local computer store there are lots of different types of flat panel screens including what wide screen displays.

My question is this... If I get a wide screen display which has an unusual width dimension say 1440 will OS X recognize it?

Does it make a difference if I connect the display with DVI or VGA (in terms of OS X being able to use the different resolutions).

Thanks,

Gary

It shouldn't be a problem. I just got an Apple 20" widescreen and this is the resolutions available.
I have it set at 1680x1050

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 7
Hi,

Thanks for you reply, but I am still unsure... You see you got an APPLE display, so I would expect the Mac and the Apple display to work together. But if I get a 3rd Party display, what screen resolutions will be available.

For example Xerox have a wide screen monitor (the XM3-19W) with a resolution of 1440x900. Now 1440x900 doesn't appear on my Resolutions lists in System Preferences->Displays.

In Windows that Resolutions lists changes with each monitor is that true with OS X or is that a fixed list?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi,

Just to add some thing here. While looking at the specifications for one particular wide screen LCD display it says:

PC: VGA upto 1440 x 900 non-interlaced at 60Hz
Power Mac: G3/G4/G5 upto 1152 x 870 at 60Hz

So if I bought that model I would need to run the display at a lower resolution compared to on a PC!!!

:(

Gary

Those resolutions weren't available on my system either. When I connected the new monitor and started, I then had them. Same will be true for a new monitor you connect, you'll see more choices. Apple has a lot of built in Profiles for displays, not just for Apple displays.

Back