Screen tinted red after OSx v 10.2 Install

chopklop

Registered
Installed said version on my iMac OS9 last night. Everything appeared fine. I turned it off and after turning it on this morning I can't get rid of a red tint to everything! Any help is much appreciated.

Hmm...

Please pardon this if it sounds simplistic -
Try the ol' unplug and reseat of the video cable.

If that doesn't work - take a look at the system preference. Make sure your color setting is correct for your monitor.
Also check the Universal Access preference - make sure you have BLACK on WHITE selected.

Hope it helps.. let me(us) know.

chopklop said:
Installed said version on my iMac OS9 last night. Everything appeared fine. I turned it off and after turning it on this morning I can't get rid of a red tint to everything! Any help is much appreciated.

Video issues on the G3 iMacs after an upgrade to OS X are common. If you still have your OS 9 folder on there, boot in OS 9, then see if any firmware updates are offered via the Software Update control panel. Apply any offered firmware updates.

Otherwise, try changing your colorsync profile in the Displays System Preference in OS X. That might help.

Otherwise, it may be a coincidental hardware failure of your CRT. Under no circumstances should you open the iMac to mess with the video cables, it can be dangerous!

Ahh... the old box macs where the monitor IS the computer. IF it's a hardware problem, you can't do much since all the wiring is internal. The CRTs in those macs are known to go blurry and lose color fast, but not like your case.

While ST is correct when it comes to some all-in-one Macs, I have yet to see this happen with an iMac, let alone one of the older all-in-ones that did color like the older 68K Macs or the Power Mac 52xx/53xx/54xx series. As for the G3 All-in-One, I haven't ever used that computer so I couldn't say one way or the other.

Mind you, I HAVE had an Apple MultiScan 15" monitor lose a couple of it's color guns and only display green, but there was a known defect with the monitor.

As mentioned before, it sounds like it either needs a firmware upgrade or the monitor preferences for the color calibration aren't set properly. Hopefully it's nothing beyond that.

Thanks for your help everyone. I think it is specifically a firmware issue. I still have os9 on my desktop so if someone can tell me how to boot into that since turning it on now it boots automatically into osx. Again, I appreciate the help.

Back