screensaver problems in tiger

Mischief[LTS]

Registered
hi all. i recently updated my OS from panther to tiger and i've got a small problem. see, when i download screensavers from resexcellence, it's in some .qtz (quarts composer) extesion, and when i put the file in the reccomended location, it wont work upon load. any reason for this? i put the screen saver in both "screen saver" Folders located in users and system folder. kinda sucks, i wana use a cool screensaver damnit!

bump. please help. i cant use any of the resexcellence screensavers.

im also having troubles with google. the original font wont show up when a search brings up results. its all in some unreadable font that i admittedly downloaded, but i never EVER chose to use it as the default viewing font. it wont let me change the font, only the size.

p.s. speaking of resexcellence, ive been looking for the shinobi 2.4 shapeshifter skins, but the link on there is broken! i wanted it so bad, but i cant find it, any enlightenment guys?

HAve you tried to see about new screensavers from Resexcellence? It's possible that maybe they weren't Tiger compatible.

BTW, it's bad practice to bump the threads after only a couple of hours. People might not have seen it, or they might be researching on what to do. Or, they might have clicked on the thread to view it and see what it was about in detail only to not actually know the answer. Your question will get answered, but a little patience goes a long way. :)

yeah, they were all tiger compatible (ver 10.4). what's weird is when i look at the difference between mac os native screen savers, and res-excellence .qtz ones, they have different icons too. like they are two different formats!? is this right? because its acting like the SS is in some sort of unreadable format. :\ why would they do that!

sorry about the bumping. i saw how much traffic the site generates and sometimes i question if anyone ever sees the darn things i post! they are sooo quickly pushed to page 2 and 3 :)

'... any reason for this?' - yes, you require a 'Quartz' video capable Mac; or, must replace the video card (if a Power Mac) with one that is.
If you double click on a '.qtz' file and the 'Unsupported configuration' alert box appears, you have confirmed the statement above.

'... like they are two different formats!? is this right?' - that is correct.
'why would they do that!' - why not e-Mail Apple?

'i can't use any of the resexcellence screensavers.' - yes you can, the non-Quartz ones.

'i put the screen saver in both "screen saver" Folders located in users and system folder.' - you should place 'screen saver' files in either a '~/Library/ScreenSavers/' folder (for access by only that user) or the '/Library/Screen Savers/' folder (for access by all users). But, never in the '/System/Library/Screen Savers/' folder. To do such (the latter), would require entering an Administrator's password. That result alone should be enough for one to reconsider the action they are about to make.

'... its all in some unreadable font' - remove the font.

----

When posting: include your model Mac and its OS version ('Tiger' is up to version 10.4.4 [with 10.4.5 in process]), the specific file(s), font(s), etc., you downloaded / installed - and their respective URL(s).

When you say the SS "won't work upon load" do you mean right after you dump it in the screen savers folder? Because I'm pretty sure that a new SS will not work until after you restart your computer-- that is when it really loads.

BTW, where did you see a Shinobi 2.4? The latest I can find anywhere is 2.3.

'Because I'm pretty sure that a new SS will not work until after you restart your computer-- that is when it really loads.' - Screen Savers are immediately available after being installed in either the '~/Library/Screen Savers/' or '/Library/Screen Savers/' folder.

If 'System Preferences', SP, is already launched when a screen Saver is added, the screen saver will not be listed within the 'Desktop & Screen Savers' utility. Just quit and relaunch 'SP'; and, only then will the screen saver be selectable from within the 'Desktop & Screen Savers' utility.

Back