Second Hard Drive Woes

TheMrSean

Registered
Hello, all. I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight into what a newbie like myself is doing wrong.

I have a dual G5 1.8mhz running 10.3.4, and I'm trying to get a second hard drive working to back up data.

The new drive is a Western Digital Caviar WD1600 160GB EIDE. Knowing that it's not SATA, I have two options available to me, neither of them working.

Sonnet has a device called a Tempo Bridge that supposedly converts EIDE to SATA. All the cords and wires connects fine, but the cpu doesn't recognize the second drive at all. It may as well not be there, even though it's plugged in correctly (I think), and there is power running to the drive, it never shows up on the desktop, nor when running Disk Utility.

My second option is an external USB 2.0 enclosure (ME-320U2) which I have for my second DVD-RW drive. When I run the hard drive through that, it shows up in Disk Utility, but gives the size as 0 bytes, and when I try and format the disk, I'm given: Unknown error: -9692 Also, the Connection ID field is left blank, if that's any help.

I've searched all the support databases all the manufactures involved here have to offer, and I'm coming up empty. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Third option - internal ATA/IDE PCI card;

Sonnet PCI Card G5 Compatibility Info: See Sonnet's G5 Compat. Page but here's a summary of their listings. (Note: their RAID IDE cards are made by Acard, so that info would also apply to Acard and some SIIG RAID cards which are also Acard based)

PCI and Network Adapters
Allegro FW400 (PCI Adapter Card) - Not compatible with the G5.
Presto Gigabit (PCI adapter card) - Not compatible with the G5.
Allegro FW800 (PCI Adapter Card) - Compatible with the G5. (no deep sleep support though based on reports)
Aria extreme PCI (PCI Adapter Card) - Compatible with the G5.
Tango 2.0 FireWire/USB 2.0 (PCI Combo Adapter Cards) - Compatible with the G5.
Tempo ATA133 IDE card - Compatible with with the G5 running 10.3.
Tempo RAID133 (IDE RAID card) Compatible with with the G5 running 10.3.
Tempo HD (PCI IDE card/onboard Hard Drive) - Compatible with with the G5 running 10.3.
Tempo Trio (IDE/FW/USB combo card) Compatible with with the G5 running 10.3.
Also check their firmware updates/drivers page.

remember you have to initialize the drive after it is plugged into your card so it is recognized this is done in disk utility if it is indeed compatible in a G5.

Ellis

Back