Second Life

Worst case scenario (assuming removal of battery, power, and basic grounding), the memory doesn't work. Take it out, and you're up and running again.

It's probably slightly more risky than replacing your laptop's battery.

While it's a good idea to not invest too much in your laptop, a new (apple) laptop will cost at least ~ $800 (refurbished, of course). Assuming that lasts 5 years, you would "spend" $160 per year (plus applecare, batteries, etc). If you think this upgrade will give your laptop another year of life, it's probably worth it.

Another YEAR of life??? My laptop is only three years old and showing no signs of dying any time soon. I expect it to last me at LEAST another five years. The computer I had before this one lasted me 10 years ... and it was a PC. :eek:

HELP. Again. :(

There are SO many 1GB RAM and details and specs. I have NO idea what would be the best one to go with for my laptop (iBook G4 1.2GHz, 12-inch). Could you techy guys (and I truly appreciate the techies in each of you :) ) please take a look at this and tell me if THIS EXACT one is what I should buy ... or something different? I don't even KNOW what all those FAQ and specs/details are referring to. And I certainly don't know if this is the RAM I want/need.

I'll stop bother y'all ... soon. I promise.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=6FB4A57EA5CA7304

Yikes. Been doing some research and reading. Let me ask you this:

If I buy RAM from, say Crucial, and Crucial RAM is not as good as quality as Apple RAM (or whatever brand is now in my iBook, from the factory), and I install the Crucial brand ... is there a chance that it will actually SHORTEN my iBook's life by dying prematurely? Whereas perhaps the factory RAM has a longer (better quality) lifespan and therefore my computer would last longer? Is that how it works?

I'm pretty confused and somewhat scared because I don't want to take my perfectly good iBook (that may have a 10-year lifespan) and ruin it by installing sub-par RAM and give it a lifespan of only a few years.

Also: What happens when/if this Crucial RAM dies? Have I lost everything on my computer?

I hope I'm making sense with my questions. Sorry.

The linked RAM will work. RAM won't shorten your laptop's life - bad RAM will usually die by itself. Besides, Apple doesn't use "Apple RAM" in their laptops, they use RAM manufactured by a provider. Crucial RAM will be the same, if not better quality than Apple RAM.

If the RAM dies, you loose nothing that you've saved.

If anything, more RAM will give you more life - your laptop currently has to write a VM file on the HDD, which puts extra stress on that.

And who here said that installing RAM involves removing one screw? Not true! I've been looking at the online instructions that were posted in this thread. It's pretty involved. I really don't think I'd feel comfortable doing that. I've replaced my battery and that's about the size of it. I've never even SEEN the inside of a computer before. So, yeah, I'm a little intimidated.

When it comes to getting around on a computer and knowing how to do stuff, I'm a whiz ... but when it comes to the bowels of the machine, I know nothing. I think this is out of my league.

I wonder if I buy the RAM from Crucial and bring it to the Apple store ... will they install it for me?

A 10-year laptop! I really, honestly, salute your frugalness! (And I hope you succeed in doing so.)

I know that wasn't much help, but hey... I'm guessing the Apple Store would install your RAM for you, seeing that you bought it from Crucial (they're reputable). It would be even better if you had an acquaintance with some tech knowledge.

And who here said that installing RAM involves removing one screw? Not true! I've been looking at the online instructions that were posted in this thread. It's pretty involved. I really don't think I'd feel comfortable doing that. I've replaced my battery and that's about the size of it. I've never even SEEN the inside of a computer before. So, yeah, I'm a little intimidated.

When it comes to getting around on a computer and knowing how to do stuff, I'm a whiz ... but when it comes to the bowels of the machine, I know nothing. I think this is out of my league.

I wonder if I buy the RAM from Crucial and bring it to the Apple store ... will they install it for me?

True, there are four screws on your model - I must have confused it with some other laptop. Still, it's not nearly as hard as it looks. You won't even have a chance to damage the motherboard - it's protected under a metal plate.

You can always get someone to install it for you, but you could easily do it yourself.

I'm not sure if Apple will do it, but you might be able to find an AASP - Apple Authorized Service Provider.

A 10-year laptop! I really, honestly, salute your frugalness! (And I hope you succeed in doing so.)

I know that wasn't much help, but hey... I'm guessing the Apple Store would install your RAM for you, seeing that you bought it from Crucial (they're reputable). It would be even better if you had an acquaintance with some tech knowledge.

Yep, 10 years my last computer lasted me. And it was a Packard-Bell. Apple computers are known to outlast PCs. Heck, I have a couple friends who still have their old clam-shell iBooks. And they still work great.

I would also need one of those anti-static thingies, which I don't have. I supposed I could buy it at CompUSA or Circuit City, but like I said, I have a fear of messing something up if I try to install it myself. And if I ruined my perfectly good iBook ... well, that'd be shame.

I think the compUSA's have all closed down, but circuit city would probably install it for you for a nominal fee -
I know that any Apple Consultant worth his "salt" would install RAM for a reasonable fee.......

Apple uses 3rd party RAM - Samsung last time i checked - and essentially charges double price, they
are basically running a scam on RAM and no one should put up with that kind of predatory pricing!!!

I am also fairly sure that RAM is not considered as replaceable hardware by the one year initial
hardware warranty or with the extended applecare warranty.

*macsales.com and the crucial site both offer a life-time replacement on most of the RAM they sell.

I also think you would notice a MAJOR difference by maxing out your RAM.

Yep, 10 years my last computer lasted me. And it was a Packard-Bell. Apple computers are known to outlast PCs. Heck, I have a couple friends who still have their old clam-shell iBooks. And they still work great.

10 years is a real challenge for a computer. Its electronics is designed for a 3-5 years life. And the software is updated even more often, expecting for always more powerfull machines.

I have old computers (see my signature) but I select what I run on which machine !

I think the compUSA's have all closed down, but circuit city would probably install it for you for a nominal fee -
I know that any Apple Consultant worth his "salt" would install RAM for a reasonable fee.......

Apple uses 3rd party RAM - Samsung last time i checked - and essentially charges double price, they
are basically running a scam on RAM and no one should put up with that kind of predatory pricing!!!

I am also fairly sure that RAM is not considered as replaceable hardware by the one year initial
hardware warranty or with the extended applecare warranty.

*macsales.com and the crucial site both offer a life-time replacement on most of the RAM they sell.

I also think you would notice a MAJOR difference by maxing out your RAM.

Some CompUSAs have closed down? Why? The one near my house is still up and running.

How does Crucial work with a lifetime replacement on RAM? If I buy their RAM and I have problems, do I just contact them and say, "Here's my old RAM, send me a new one"? Or will I have to ship my laptop in and the whole works? I don't want to deal with all that. That's one of the reasons why I'm actually considering buying RAM from Apple and paying their ridiculous price and having them install it – because I know if I have ANY problems, I can simply take my computer back to the store (I live near one) and say, "Here, you did this. Now fix it."

Back