self-assigned IP... the old issue...

umbrA

Registered
hi people!

so i am back with the old issue of the wireless port refusing to get a dhcp address (macbook pro 4,1, mac os 10.5.8). i have done everything mentioned in the forums around the globe - tried to renew dhcp lease, deleted preference files, taken out battery, checked firewall, etc pp. i cannot access the router, since the problem occurs at work, but i have had this issue with various wireless networks for a while now. searching for solutions, i noticed people talking about the configd process (in /usr/sbin). being curious what it does, i manually started it, which causes the system preferences to freeze instantaneously and not to re-open until i restart my system. is this related to the dhcp problem? does anybody have any new solutions to this old and VERY annoying problem? help is appreciated greatly! thanks,

jaspeR

Have you tried using ethernet at the locations where you have WiFi trouble? This could help isolate the problem.

Apple says 99+ % of problems other than setup are software issues - permissions (small percent) or corrupted files. We have few tools to identify specific files (reading logs is one), so we resort to more generic approaches.
Restart from your install DVD and repair the hard drive from there. Even better, use Disk Warrior.

Back