sendmail and oreilly's article--stuck on one line

Roadie

Registered
hey,

I am trying to configure sendmail on 10.2. I am following the instructions on oreilly's macdevcenter and came across this line:

sudo ./update

which is suposed to run a script, but when i enter it into the terminal i get:

sudo: ./update: command not found

he says in the article "You may need to remember to give it execute permissions (`chmod g+x /etc/mail/update') first!", so i try and enter that into the terminal, but it doesn't work i get:

Unmatched `.

but if i leave that beginning tick off it appears to work ok. How do i get that script to run?

Thanks,

Rich

You don't seem to be in the correct directory when invoking the command.

./update

means "run a program or script named 'update' in the current directory".

So either do:

cd /etc/mail
./update

or:

/etc/mail/update

BTW: The sample in the article you mention is put into quotes just for demonstration purposes. Of course, to apply that command, you must omit the quotes, such as:
chmod g+x /etc/mail/update

However, before doing a chmod I would recommend to first have a look about how the permissions are set:
ls -l /etc/mail/update

This might uncover that the execute (x) bit is already set appropriately.

Hope this helps :)

ok...apprently last night i was adding the ending slash when i tried to cd.

now i get this when i try and run the script:

Regenerating sendmail.cf
./update: m4: command not found

from searching the forums it appears this is an issue with me not having the developer tools installed, right?

---ISSUE #2---

I was following the Setting up a site server with jaguar article, and that seemed to go ok. I added my dynamic dns address to the local-host-names file (mydomain.no-ip.com), but I don't receive the mail. It says in the article that the mail would get logged to a file in var/mail, but there is no file there for my username.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

Back