Server desgin

hellfire73

Registered
Hello everyone I was woundering how everyone sets up their servers and users i.e do you have roaming profiles or local profiles. do you use kerberos for athentication and then ldap for drive mapping?. I have recently graduated from a technical institute and i learned how do do things the "microsoft way" which is roaming profiles on AD. but at work i have been doing something similar with mac servers but with more "Standard" complient software like OpenLDAP.

How do you guys out their manage users and computers, i'm looking for differnet perspectives, to give some scope i manage about 55-60 users but will have to accomidate up to 100 people at some point in time. we have only one Official server running 10.3.9. serving a linux,w2k and mac osx environment.

Well, I use OpenDirectory and Kerberos in my environment. I set up my MCX data to provide managed desktop preferences. Since I'm using Kerberos and my AFP service is Kerberized, I didn't have to worry about LDAP mount records for user shares/mountpoints, I simply used the MCX to include user shares as login items. I still keep local home creation running, so that, if there's a networking glitch, they have all of their data local to them.

hellfire73 said:
ow do you guys out their manage users and computers, i'm looking for differnet perspectives, to give some scope i manage about 55-60 users but will have to accomidate up to 100 people at some point in time. we have only one Official server running 10.3.9. serving a linux,w2k and mac osx environment.

I have set it up using LDAP only. After some playing around it works quite satisfactory, sharing a single user on multiple servers (Fileserver & Mailserver). It is even possible to have different users on either server and then merge them (of course not physicly) if you wish (and i don't as mail-users do not have acccess to the company fileserver, while employees do have access to both mail and fileserver).

Changes to the user are shared over the network and modifying a user can easily done owith teh workgroup manager.

Kees

Back