Setting permissions for Classic?

nanosound

Registered
I've been trying out OS X but having problems getting grips on it and undrestanding how it works coming from an OS 9 world. But I really like the look and feel of it.

So here's the problem: There are times when it wants to access applications that are Classic. I get the message:

"You do not have sufficient permissios to run Classic from /System/Library/CoreServices. Please correct permissions and restart Classic."

What does this mean? I tried to search under Mac help, but found no match for "permission". Any answers? Be kind--I don't know a thing about unix.

Thanks!

I had the same problem and started thinking about what i had done since the problem started. I had installed swap cop a few days ago and read the ReadMe file and they had this blurb.

Q. Are there any incompatibilities I should know before I try this?

A. Some users with mixed UFS/HFS+ systems have experienced problems. I am currently unable to test this, however, I remember there being a similar issue under the public beta where Classic would not run from an OS X UFS volume. The best bet is to only use Swap Cop on homogenously HFS+ systems (OS X system volume and Swap Disk volume are both HFS+)

If the name of the partition you are moving your swap file to contain spaces, quotation marks, apostrophes, or other punctuations, moving the swap file will fail. I suggest you do not try this. Rename your volumes so that they do not include these characters.

Some users report problems opening applications (esp. Fire.app and Classic) after switching the swap disk. This is due to OS X being inconsistent with permissions across multiple volumes. To fix this, select the volume that contains the new swap file in the Finder and select "Get Info" (Cmd-I). Go to the pull-down menu and select "Privileges". In that pane, check the box that says "Ignore privileges on this volume". Also, make sure that 'Owner', 'Group', and 'Everyone' have "Read & Write" access, and apply this to all folders by hitting the "Apply" button. You may need to restart for this to take effect.

I checked the ignore priv button and all is good so far.

Unfortunately, the get info solution doesn't work like it would in OS 9. When I get info of my hard drive, the priveleges are grayed out--it is logged in as 'system' of group 'admin'. But as the only user, I am the system admin, I think? Unfortunately, I know very little of UNIX, so I may have to reinstall the OS again. I hope the default installation won't have these problems again. A UNIX core doesn't bother me, but the fact that us Mac OS 9 people have to learn UNIX to set up priveleges does. Shouldn't that be easy to do? What happened to Apple's ease of use philosophy?

I logged in as the root user. When I went to start an OS 9 app, it said "there are no localized Classic-specific resources to update the system folder. Please select another startup disk". This is quite a different message. I am running 9.1. Do I need 9.2 instead? The mystery is unfolding...

I solved the problem in case anyone's following. I installed the 9.1 to 9.2.1 update and now I can start up Classic anytime. No need to do any terminal UNIX stuff for permissions! Apparently it was just missing some resources for system 9 to function properly in X. It runs real smooth, just a little slower. Now all I need is Photoshop...

There's also a free update to 9.2.2 thru the OS 9 Software Update control panel that should help.

Back