Setting Up a Business

Trip

Registered
What do you, personally, think a good business consists of? Good foundations could include many things: great attitude, lots of money, big plan, past experience, and many more things. But what do you really think makes a great business?

In no particular order:

- Luck
- Timing
- At least 2 clients before you start
- Give up clubbing
- Colleagues/Partners "Who Know What They're Doing"
- Be absolutely certain that YOU "Know What You're Doing"
- Don't be nervous
- Don't be shy
- Don't be horrible
- Be firm and have goals
- Don't forget the invoices (me guilty)
- More luck
- Be prepared for 9 to 5 and weekends to become an alien concept
- Be certain that you can afford it
- Be prepared to be mugged by the Tax Bandits
- DON'T tell rivals, however friendly, what you're up to

And a zillion other things. I might have gone slighty away from your topic (sitting in my office at 0200hrs), still, I'll let you pick the bones out of it!

Make your computations correctly:
Gross Profit = Sales - Cost of Goods Sold
Operational Margin = Gross Profit - Fixed Costs (administration, office, salaries..)
Net Profit After Tax = Operation Margin - Interests (on loans) and Taxes
Retained Earnings = Net Profit After Tax - Dividends

Only Retained Earnings remain to start the next operating year !

If Retained Earnings of the next year are bigger than the one of the previous (and you didn't borrow), then you make money.

Rule of thumb, when you start a business, unless you are really sure about your income, divide your planned sales by a factor 3 and your cost of goods sold by a factor 2... and see if the business is still profitable.

Trip, assuming the buisness you are talking about is that graphic design on your web site, I was wondering how it is doing? Is it just a part-time thing for extra cash? You've had a few clients I see, and your sig says you do 'affordable' graphics, but does it pay the bills? Or get you enough spending money? It seems like something fun to do on the side.

Back