Setting up mail server

supanatral

Registered
I'm trying to setup my first mac server as a mail server for our domain. Its suppose to receive mail and then pass it onto our exchange server. Is there a good how to on using it as a mail relay server?

I also tried to google around and find out what mailman is for but I can't find a site on it. Could someone explain it to me? Also, do I need to be concerned with it? Thanks guys!

Why relay it and not send it directly to the exchange server. Or even better, use the MAC OS X server as mailserver.

You can send all undeliverable mail to a specific address, maybe that could do the trick (if no users are defined, all mail will be undeliverable).

Good luck, Kees

We use to have email send right to the exchange server but the problem with doing that is because the exchange mailboxes are suppose to be on a backend server. Since Exchange is very important, it should never contact the outside world. When email is sent to us, it goes through a FreeBSD computer with postfix installed and it scans it for spam and viruses and if it all checks out then it it will pass it onto the exchange server. Then if we send mail, exchange passes it onto the freebsd computer and that computer will send the mail for us.

There has to be a way of doing this because Mac OSX uses postfix as well. Also, as for switching to a mac email server entirely, well no matter how much I like mac I still love microsoft exchange 2007 so much more! I love being able to login to my email through an internet brower and it looks excactly like outlook. It also makes it easier for our users since they know how to use outlook

Back