Sharing files over net (how?)

PowermacG4_450

OS X Jaguar
I have 10.1.3, and want a buddy in florida to access my mac so he can send a file....

He needs my ip address..... and I think I have to turn on file sharing.

help. how do I do this? I ONLY want him to access my public folder, and NOTHING else.

thanks. :)

all the years ive used macs, ive never used file sharing. lol

Assuming you both have Mac OS X... :)

Turn on file sharing. Also, if you have a router or firewall, map port 548 to your mac.

To enable file sharing, go into the System Preferences, and press 'Sharing'. Next, press the 'start' button for File Sharing.

The default File Sharing configuration should include Guest access to the Public folder in your user directory.

So, here's how you connect to your buddy's computer (or how he connects to your computer):
Press apple-k
in the 'Address:' field, type the following:
afp://ipaddress/
where 'ipaddress' is the ip address of the other computer. IP addresses generally look something like this:
if you need to get your IP address, just go back into the System Preferences, click 'Sharing' and look at the 'IP Addres: ' field. If you are behind a firewall or router, you will need to know your external IP address instead.

Once you have that entered, press 'Connect'.

You can either press 'guest' or enter a password and username that is set up on the other computer.

enjoy, and ask if you have any questions!

you can always create a new user on you mac.
call it "guest", or something.

after that you can enable the FTP-access-function, and anyone in the world can access your computer by FTP and log in with the new users login information.

that way, you can put all the files you want that person to have in that users catalog.

nice, eyh?

Back