Should I get an iPhone?

M

Matthew M.

Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum. If not, please excuse this and accept my sincerest apologies...

Anyways, I am in a dilemma. For awhile now, I have wanted to purchase an iPod as I have a huge interest in music (I'm a musician/songwriter/producer) and perhaps videos. Namely, I have had my eyes on the iPod 80 GB. Having over 4,000 songs on my iTunes playlist alone - not even counting my countless hundreds of other CD's that aren't even imported - I figured that would be the perfect thing, as well as using it for videos and photos.

Then came the iPhone.

After watching the video tutorials and everything about it on Apple, I have been absolutely blown away at what it can do. Even though I don't use my current cell phone too much, the features on this thing are AMAZING; though I realize I'm preaching to the choir on that. But my question is... seeing as the iPhone costs $270 more than the 80 GB iPod, is the price difference worth paying to get everything else that the iPod doesn't have? I mean, sure, I can use the internet on my 20 inch iMac to use Google Map and the other stuff it comes with instead of doing it on a 3.5 inch screen, but some of this stuff that this thing has is just SO freaking tempting that it's almost impossible to resist the thought of dropping $600 on one.

What should I do and what would you think would be the wise purchase in the long-run? Unfortunately, I do not have the financial resources to purchase both, but any help on making this tough decision would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Apple will come out with a widescreen iPod with a lot of iPhone-like features soon. If you have a huge music library, wait for a bit to buy the next major revision of iPod. Since you don't use your cell phone much, and the other things about the iPhone you can already do, it makes no sense to buy a music player that can't import your music library.

Back