Slow network browsing

Johnny Sausage

Registered
Another question for you guys since your were so helpful with my 1st problem.

I have noticed that our G5s (OS X 10.3.9) are very slow when browsing network shares (be it AFP or SMB) if there are many items in the share. All our shares are hosted on Windows 2000 servers. For example, 1 AFP share in particular has over 1500 items and it takes forever for the finder on the MAC to populate the screen. Is there any way to speed this up ? I have used ExtemeZ IP and it resolves the issue, but was wondering if this could be fixed without a 3d party solution.

I've the same think with my 5 G4 Mirror (512Mo RAM) and a Windows 2000 Server shared folder (smb or afp).

Johnny Sausage said:
Another question for you guys since your were so helpful with my 1st problem.

I have noticed that our G5s (OS X 10.3.9) are very slow when browsing network shares (be it AFP or SMB) if there are many items in the share. All our shares are hosted on Windows 2000 servers. For example, 1 AFP share in particular has over 1500 items and it takes forever for the finder on the MAC to populate the screen. Is there any way to speed this up ? I have used ExtemeZ IP and it resolves the issue, but was wondering if this could be fixed without a 3d party solution.

Back