Sluggish mouse movement

rjenkins1

Registered
I am using Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger on a PowerMac G4 with a USB Logitech MX500 mouse. I have the tracking speed set on fastest, but when I change the direction of the mouse movement the pointer moves very slowly. That means the mouse pointer does not end up where I expect it to be. The mouse works fine on Windows and Linux. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Also, I experienced the same issue with and without the Logitech utility.

OK, I realized that it isn't about changing directions. It's about moving the mouse slowly.

When I move the mouse slowly it covers a much shorter distance than if I were to move it quickly. This happens to a much lesser degree in SUSE Linux and Windows.

Past Logitech mice I have had allow you to set an "acceleration" option toggeld on or off. With it on the mouse is accelerated so that if you move the mouse slowly over a given distance it'll move 2 or 3 times that distance if you move the mouse the same amount but very quickly. Check the Control Center and also see if Logitech has a driver update for that mouse in Tiger. The current version is Control Center v1.60

Logitech Control Center 1.6 does not have any acceleration control.

I found an excellent freeware utility called Steer Mouse which gives me two sliders for speed and acceleration. It also has wheel and button configuration capability. I will play around with the sliders until I find the setting I like best. I really wonder why these features are not part of OS X.

Back