Small Question...

Hidden Gekko

3 Years and 100 Posts 0_o
This has been asked many times I'm sure...but how do you force delete something on your desktop. It refuses to move any where. I know it has to with the console but I don't know the code.

Thx a bunch.

Press 'Option' and 'Apple(Command)'...hold them and click 'esc'. You should get a window with all running apps...select the one you want to quit and hit the 'Force Quit' button. :)

Matt

Um...Im not THAT dumb. I've been using Macs since 1989 lol.

No program is running, and i've restarted the computer. It ust says its in use by another 'task' right now. No program involved.

it's pretty easy. pop over to terminal, and type in "sudo rm " without the quotes. then find that stubborn file on your desktop, drag it into the terminal window, and push return. It will ask for your password, type it in and then it will work. (you usually have to click on the desktop before it will update the display though)
If it's a folder we are talking about, I believe the command is "sudo rm -r " and do the same as above.

By the way,
Things like these are why OS X needs to mature more (i.e. APPLE, MAKING NON-OS 9 BOOTING MACS IS WAAAAAYYY TOO SOON!!!). What would the average Mom do in this case? Probably blame Apple which she is right to do because she doesn't know about macosx.com...unfortunately permissions on X easily get messed up, too easily if you ask me. Heck, if you install software as an admin, a lot of the time it doesn't work as guest! (try MS Office, TextEdit, etc. in Guest acct. - MS Office can't open a framework, TextEdit can't access the Spelling Engine and errors out after every word you type.)

Sorry HG,
I thought I had deleted my post after I realized my error...but it showed up anyway. :eek:

Matt

Ugh. I'm screwed. It just says permession denied in the terminal, and the file is still being used by another task. This really sucks...oh well guess i'll just have get used to it being on my desktop forever.

If you take a look at the creator code and file type you'll find that the file type is "bzy" designating that the file is used by another task. if you've restarted and it is still like this change the file type to anything else. You can then delete it.

Back