smb write error causes applications and OS to crash

williamhsman

Registered
OK I'm not sure how many people may have experience this but I am getting write errors on os x server 10.5 via smb from windows xp 64bit computers basically what happens is that every once in a while when a user tries to save a file it will either crash the application or blue screen the computer.

At other times it will fail and then when you try it again it will work the second time.

most of the users files sizes are huge as we are a special effects company so a single rendered frame would be like 12GB. with small files I haven't notice this happening, only when let say someone save in 3dsMax which also pulls files off the server like textures etc..

Any ideas? Also one user reported that it wasn't happening on his computer until he upgraded to sp2 for windows and then there where issues.

smb is limited by Windows' inabilities, so usually anything bigger than 2.14 GB will fail.
Can they use another type of connection there to not be limited to this? ftp, ssh..

well the way the office works they all share and work off various files and these shares are normally mapped network drives. To use ftp and ssh etc. would hinder work flow so smb or afp is the only way we can do this. unless there is a way windows can use AFP.

Back