Snow Leopard Server encrypted filesystem

leopardserver

Registered
I'm trying to set up a Mac Mini Server running Snow Leopard with an encrypted filesystem to store user files. Since it's acting as a multi-user server the encrypted filesystem has to support ownership. It also has to be encrypted by default (i.e. it can't rely on the users to remember to encrypt their files) and all the user files should be encrypted.

I've tried TrueCrypt but it relies on MacFuse and as a result the mounted filesystem is in user space. So if I mount a TrueCrypt volume as "admin" the ownership of all files is admin (i.e. I can't do a chown on files to set ownership to another user). If I mount the TrueCrypt volume as root the ownership shows up as "_unknown" and there's still the problem that ownership of files can't be changed to the user.

I've done chown in unencrypted space and it works fine and as expected.

I've tried Symantec PGP Whole Disk Encryption and also Sophos SafeGuard and they behave like TrueCrypt. I've installed OSXCrypt but the author apparently is no longer supporting it so there's no documentation on how to use it.

In a Windows TrueCrypt volume I can change the permissions and ownership of files, so I know it can be done. But at the moment not on OSX.

Is there encrypted filesystem software for Snow Leopard server that supports multiple user ownership?

Hi friend
Servers are often dedicated, meaning that they perform no other tasks besides their server tasks. On multiprocessing operating systems, however, a single computer can execute several programs at once. A server in this case could refer to the program that is managing resources rather than the entire computer.

Server Circle - ask and answer technical questions

Back