SoftRaid / External Drive Causing Kernel Panics

bradbaxter

Registered
First, the facts:
OS X 10.4.10
Build 8R2232
iMac 2Ghz / 2GB

Hard drive: Other World Computers / 2 x 2TB / Raided (software). In fact, here is a link to exactly what I've got:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/ME8MS7S10T64/

I bought the external drive about a year ago... so, no support coming from OWC on this issue.

SoftRaid version: 3.6.4 (newest) - I've contacted them for support. They've been very responsive, but they don't (as of yet) know what could be causing the problem. They are testing on hard drives.

This is the issue:
When the rebuild finishes (when the second drive finishes copying over the contents of the first drive) I get a kernel panic. Without fail. Every single time. So, the rebuild process has to start all over again. It seems that it may be responsible for other random kernel panics, too.

This set-up had worked, but a few weeks ago I had a problem with the Mac and had to re-install OS X (long story-- but I had taken it to the Apple store and they told me this is what was needed to resolve a particular issue caused by an installation of 5,000 fonts... some of which were apparently corrupted). Ever since, I've had this issue...

Things I've done:
Run Disk Utility
Run TechTool Pro 4
(These tests also indicate that everything is fine with the external drives.)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated... because I appear to be at the end of my rope!

Back