Software Update and installer.app problem

mala

Registered
Hi,

I've squeezed in OS X on my iBook/300 with 3GB disk. I've about 420 MB free disk. If I run Software Update to update from 10.2.4 to 10.2.5 wich is about 39,9MB it tells me I need to free up more disk, the installation needs 499MB!! The same thing with Java 1.4.1 (26,1 MB) wich claims it needs 430MB of disk.
I then downloaded the disk images and ran the installer, but the I run into the next problem; after authenticating myself I get the first part of the installation procedure with "Welcome to the installer, click 'Continue' to continue with the installation" or similar. Clicking 'Continue' brings up exactly the same dialog again. And again, and again. I just don't come any further. I've tried to install a few different things but it's always the same.
What's wrong here? Are the two installation/upgrade problems somewhat related?

I was for a while afraid it was lack of diskspace (even though I think 0.5 GB would be enough) that made this behaviour, but with 14GB it's not the case.
Still no ideas from the wizards out there?

I installed x on a 3 gig clamshell and successfully ran the updates as they came up, no problems.

The installation process needs lots of free space because it keeps all the old stuff while setting up the new stuff, plus a few other logs and routines. I have a usb burner, so I archived my photos and tossed my original apps and reinstalled them after the update.

I had 600 meg free when I upgraded. So things will work, you may have to juggle things a bit though. If you don't have access to a burner, try saving some things over a network.

pds. That's not the problem. I have 14.5 Gb free. So it somewho doesn't see that (although it notes it in the installer dialog).

Back