software update problem

charliebrown314

Registered
Hi. I am unable to successfully run software updates. Software Update finds updates, asks which I want to install. I check off one or more, it downloads them, and then gives this error message:

The update "{UPDATE_NAME}" could not be verified and expanded correctly. Make sure that you have permission to write to /private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate and try again.

I have found this in various places in this forum and the web, and I have tried the following suggestions, with no success:

1) Change admin password to something else, log out, log in, change admin password back to original password.

2) Delete the folder in question by using Go To Folder command in Finder. (Fails because it can't find the folder.)

3) Delete the folder in question using terminal command (sudo rm -rf) and then recreating it with mkdir.

4) Disk Utility > Repair Permissions.

5) Downloading the software from apple.com and installing it (rather than doing it via Software Update). This gives a different error (it just says errors were encountered and doesn't tell me anything else).

I don't know if this matters, but I am running a dual boot, because I have old applications that must run in OS9. It's not that I open a Mac Classic window from OSX, but that I choose a different startup disk using Control Panels and then actually boot directly to either OS9 or OSX.

I am really stuck here and would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thanks!!

All. This problem appears to be fixed. After trying several sites over several different days of hacking at this, I found the following link on the apple site:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=893646&tstart=1605

The first post lists some items including a "mv" command issued via Terminal. The other Terminal commands I issued that seemed to be getting at the same basic thing all failed for various reasons, but these worked no problem, and the updates all then worked fine through Software Update.

Sorry for the needless post, but hopefully it helps someone else.

Back