Software Update Service on Tiger

britespaak

Registered
Hi, I'm setting up a tiger server to serve software updates to the clients, but the server doesn't seem to want to serve the updates. The client can connect to the server, but then shows the user a message saying the computer is up to date. I know that is not true, and I have all the updates mirrored, so why is it not working?
If nobody has any idea, is there somewhere that says exactly what the software update client goes through to check if there are updates available, so I can follow it manually?

Thanks

I'm not sure. I didn't see an option for that anywhere. I'm just mirroring anything apple throws at me (using the auto-mirror option).

Hm. 10.5 Server should hold hte updates also for 10.4 clients.
10.4 clients will be able to see any 10.4. updates, not 10.5.
Are the 10.4 not seeing the 10.4 updates?

-- doh, Tiger server. Never mind, I need more sleep. That will do all 10.4 updates but won't serve 10.5 updates...

Is any of the 10.4 machines running less than 10.4.10?
There hasn't been any proper software updates for quite some time now...

Is any of the 10.4 machines running less than 10.4.10?
There hasn't been any proper software updates for quite some time now...

They're all running 10.4.10, and some definitely have uninstalled updates, as when they're pointing to the official software update server it shows several updates available.

both check boxes are checked on the SUS for every update right?

also, 10.4 SUS will update 10.5 clients - it's been working for me for a few weeks now.

Yup, doesn't help :)

Restart the server or have it reload the updates. Does any system sees the updates or absolute none. In the latter case the sus is not working oke. At least a restart will be required.

Also check which updates are loaded and if any update mentioned on the apple update server is loaded on your server.

Good luck, kees

We had this problem because the server was not done downloading all the updates which took it about 8 hours on a T1.

Also, there's a change we did to the software update preference file on the client side to include the host.company.dom:pORT and for PORT we used 8088 and made sure the 8088 entry was listed on the server settings.

examples: 192.168.1.100:8088
server.company.com:8088

After a server reboot, it began working.

You can grab a utility that will permit you to set the software update server plist on the client side using the example above. Hit your favorite mac software download site and search for "software update server"

here's a link to one at SOFTPEDIA.COM named Set Software Update Server

http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Set-Software-Update-Server-Download-23966.html

I also read somewhere to be sure you have your DNS server setup correctly for reverse of the softwareupdate server, but I would think using the IP address would get around that.

It's working now :-D
I think it downloading was part of the problem, but I also found that when the proxy settings are set on the clients, they can't see any available updates, even when I tell them to bypass the proxy for that specific address. So the server's working properly now, just the clients are misbehaving.
Thanks for all the help.

Back