some help with a couple little questions

dbizzle

Registered
I am a recent win -> mac switcher with a couple questions.

1. is there any comparable program on mac to windows' clonecd? It is a program that lets you make and mount cd images on a 'fake' cd drive.

2. on windows, you can switch between options (for example when you tell the computer to shut down, it will let you switch between the 'shutdown' 'restart' 'sleep' ect. options by pressing tab. is there anything like that on mac?

3. is there any hotkey to maximize a window or program? you can minimize them with cmd-m, but is there any way to bring them back up?

4. does anyone know of a free chat program that supports multiple protocols (msn, aim, icq, ect) that also supports voice chat?

thanks for all the help.

1. I'm not sure what all CloneCD does, but the particular functionality you describe is built into OS X. Use Disk Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities) to create disk images, which can then be mounted on any machine running OS X.

2. Yes. The default behavior in the Mac OS has the tab key only switch between text entry fields and listboxes, but you can change this behavior to include buttons and menus and things, too. Under the Apple menu, open System Preferences, go to the Keyboard & Mouse section, and then the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. The option is at the bottom.

3. Not exactly. See http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265544.

4. Check out Adium. And you're ever looking for Mac apps, I recommend searching at MacUpdate. It's always the first place I look.

thanks for the reply mikuro, especially with the tab preferences. That is exactly what I have been looking for. Also, to clarify, I already have and have been using Adium, but it doesn't have voice chat. I have searched a little bit, and have not been able to find a program that does, so I thougth i would check to see if there was something that I missed. Thanks again for the response.

#1 Mikuro is spot on. Roxio Toast can also do it, and it's a little more user-friendly than trying to do it through Disk Utility, but it's also very expensive. Just though it was worth mentioning in case you have it/want it.

#4, you can use iChat (included with OS X) to talk to people on MSN, but it's a little over-complicated. Here's the tutorial in case you're interested. To be honest though, I'd recommend going with Adium.

There are actually keyboard shortcuts. Even better!

Shut Down (control+option+Apple+eject key)

Restart (not sure)

Sleep (option+Apple+eject key)

Or you can press your power button once. I believe the default action is to show you a menu.

Doug

texanpenguin said:
dktrickey, the Restart command is, and always has been Cmd+Ctrl+Power.
That's a "hard" restart, though. It won't send OS X through it's shutdown process, meaning you won't get the chance to save open documents and you can make a mess of some things. You should never use it unless you have no choice (i.e., you're machine's hanging and you can't restart through normal means).

Back in OS 9 and before, command-shift-power was the "friendly" restart shortcut. For some reason this didn't make it to OS X, though.

As far as I can tell, there's no single shortcut to do a friendly restart in OS X. However, just hitting the Power key will bring up that window, and then pressing R (no command key or anything required) will trigger the Restart button (S triggers Sleep).

Back