Spotlight Does Not Identify 3d Party Software

Sparrowhawk

Registered
Greetings,
I recently noticed that Spotlight doesn't seem to recognize documents from software like Mariner Write (an OS X specific word processor if you don't want to use MS Word, which I hate). Does anyone have a clue as how to make Spotlight sensitive to identifying Write documents, or a plug-in that would do the same job? Much Thanks.

Mariner Write uses its own proprietary format, which confuses Spotlight. It doesn't understand it's a word-processing document, and therefore doesn't organise it uder "Documents". If you save your files as RTF or PDF etc. then it will show up.

Mariner Software said back in May of 2005 Spotlight support is "something we are seriously looking at developing".

Donno what the hold up is :/

I think Apple should include some customisation options for Spotlight. All it needs is a section that allows you to bind files with certain extentions to a particular category.

It is not the binding to a category that is problematic it is pulling the keyword information out of them. That is what they need mariner to write the importer for.

but surely spotlight still indexes the filenames of Mariner Write documents (and any comments you've added in the Get Info window). So, if you told Spotlight to place any Write docs under the Documents section, then you could find your files by filename/comments.

Back