Startup Problem - No Login Screen

Reykjavik

Registered
So, I have a 12" g4 powerbook, running 10.2.8 (i think... i know it's 10.2.x) 867 mhz, 80gb HD (which i just installed ~2 months ago), and 640 mb ram.

Anyway, When I startup the computer, it goes through the gray loading screen with the apple, and then the bootpanel comes up, and when the login screen should appear after that finishes, it simply doesnt, and I'm stuck with a very blank blue screen with nothing but my cursor.

So far I've tried starting up as a target disk and running disk-repair "restore disk" thang from another g4 laptop, and it gives me a "repair successful" message (I think it was specifically "HFsomethign or other repair successful"). I've also tried restarting the PRAM, restarting w/ cmd-s, and typing fsck -y, and fsck -f, because various people have told me it may help... Safeboot doesn't do anything either... and to top it all off, I've lost my system repair CD.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated - I need my laptop fixed asap (i've got a debate tournament to go to tomorrow and all my school stuff is on it)...

Thanks for any help

Might be able to get through using safe boot. From a Macworld article:

"The Safe Boot routine is built into Mac OS X; to use it you simply start up your Mac while pressing the Shift key. You will see a message confirming your Safe Boot as your startup proceeds. If you don’t see the words “Safe Boot” during startup (as shown on the right), shut down your Mac and try again, but this time press the Shift key before pressing the button to turn on your Mac."

Usually it fails to fully login when some 3rd party program or script is trying to launch at startup, and is having a hard time of it. If your mac boots in Safe Mode, open your system preferences and click on "Accounts", then "Login Items" and remove anything that isn't Apple's form the list. (By default on most installs, iTunesHelper is the only thing in the list. But you can get rid of that too, it isn't really that important.)

Whew. Longest reply ever. Good Luck, though. And good luck at your debate tourney!

Often safe boot seems like nothing is happening due to the file system check that runs in the background.. no visible cues to you... causing the boot to take longer than normal, sometimes much longer..Try again but be patient ..

FIXED!

Anyway - I had already tried the safeboot, going through the whole startup sequence, and after it loaded, the login screen still didn't show up, so I gave up on that... However, I just got a 10.3 cd and installed panther - and it's all good now... probalby just something to do w/ 10.2 and/or my computer.... cuz it's awesome like that.

thanks everyone

Back