Startup TiBook off an external CDRW drive?

dani0100

Registered
Anyone know if there's any way this is possible? I was thinking maybe it was because Apple's own CD drivers now support so many external firewire drives, however that support may be secondary to the support for Apple's own drives, at least when using the drive as a startup device.

Anyone had any luck?

BTW, the reason I'm wondering is because my built-in CD/DVD drive is pooping out (makes a noise like it's scratching the frickin' disk) and I want to make sure I can startup off something since I don't want to send it in for service until I have a week or three that I don't need my computer.

Thanks,

MD

yeah ive done this many times. Just make sure there is no CD in the iBook's/TiBook's drive when you hold "C" down when you restart your computer. If that doesn't work; hold "option" when you boot your computer up, and you can choose which CD or hard drive you want to start up off of. Hope that helps.

Just of note... you will only be able to do this off of a FireWire external drive. You won't be able to boot off of an external USB CD drive: it's not able to do this (I think because of how slow the bus is).

But if you have an external FireWire CD burner/reader (getting a USB one is totally stupid anyway, unless you don't have FireWire ports), it should work.

Tried it out, and it works great. Thanks for the tip! Now I won't be forced to send in my computer for repair so soon...lord knows how long those fools at Apple would hold my baby hostage.

I think it's time to defrag my HD!

:D

Back