Sudden Problem with Panther

ShadowCrow

Registered
Hello,

I am sorry for starting a new thread about this subject if there already is one. I did some searching but could not find really what I was looking for and I am really desperate now so... Here goes:

After having tricked around with Neverwinter Nights for a while (don't stop reading) I ran into a mysterious problem that I have never experienced before.

I updated, uninstalled, re-installed, and so fort the game a couple of times trying to make the expansion named Shadows of Undrentide to work with help from a guide on the games official forum. Suddenly, the computer reboots, or does SOMETHING atleast because the screen turns black (I have never been able to see the boot-process with this screen, it seem to "turn on" just when the graphical boot-process vanishes to give place for the login-window) and I can hear the fan (trust me, on this dual 1,25Ghz baby, you HEAR the fan) working insane amounts and then when I think the loginwindow will appear, there is a black screen with something that looks like this (from the top of my head):

Welcome to Darkwin / BSD

login:

I didn't have access with my normal user, root I never use, but I tried and it said invalid password.

I thought "what the ..." and then decided to force-reboot the system. I did, and the same thing happened. Wierd.

I have now booted my computer pressing SHIFT-ALT-CMD-P-R (zap the pRAM) and the parts of the graphical boot-proceedure I get to see says "Safe-Boot". That has never been there before...

I can't boot the computer normally and get into MacOs X. I have to zap the pRAM everytime I boot several times over to get the computer to the loginwindow.

When I am logged in (using this safe-boot-mode), all windows lag very much, colors look wierd and the computer doesn't seem to be "herself"...

If anyone have any idea as to what might have happened or more important, how to fix this, I would be überhappy. I am in great need of this computer, not only for gaming but for work and daily communication.

(Neverwinter Nights doesn't start att al anymore, it just generates on of those "Send a log to Apple"-windows).

Thank you so much for hearing me out...

//Anders, Sweden

Try booting from the OSX install CD and do a repair persmissions on your OSX drive. If it still does the same, do an archive and install.

Okidokie,

I will try that. Thanks! I installed Panther not long ago so it will be a pain in the neck proceedure to do it all again, but I'd do anything to keep this baby happy :)

Back