System hangs after installing boot camp

cobar

Registered
Since I installed Boot Camp, my MacBook keeps freezing at the blue Starting Mac OS X screen or if it makes it past that, before Finder finishes loading all the desktop icons.

I recently decided to install the Boot Camp 1.1.1 beta on my MacBook with 10.4.8. While going through the Boot Camp setup, I was using my laptop causing the first burn of the driver cd to fail. No worries, I chucked the disk and burned a new one, then partitioned my drive with 9 gigs for Windows. At the end of the install, Boot Camp asked me whether I wanted to start the Windows install right away or restart Mac OS. I opted to restart the OS and then powered off the laptop before OS X could start.

When I went to start it up the next day, I could not get the cd to eject. Dragging the cd to the trash did nothing, same with the eject button. Eventually I just got the beachball and the system hung so I had to power it off. After a bit of googling, I managed to get the CD out before the OS booted up by holding down the mouse button.

I then noticed some very weird stuff going on. The system would start up and freeze at 100% on the loading screen, or it would partially load the Finder and then hang with the beachball spinning. Occasionally make it to the desktop but when I'd click on an application the application would never launch, it would just bounce up and down for a few minutes and eventually the system would lock. Whenever this happens, the system fan starts spinning like mad.. I've waited 10+ minutes without the system ever coming out of it.

Somehow (after all this had happened), I managed to get it to restart the Windows install and complete that. Windows has been booting and running almost flawlessly so far, so I don't think I have a hardware problem.

I've tried a number of fixes, including booting from the system disk and running Disk Utility - no disk errors and only 2 or 3 permissions to fix, as well as doing an archived reinstall of the OS, and lastly running fsck in single user mode (no errors detected). Nothing has made a difference, the system continues to hang during boot or soon after. The only thing I know of now is to wipe the disk and reinstall the OS. I'd rather not have to backup all my docs and reinstall all my programs if that can be avoided.

Any insight would be appreciated .Thanks

Back