Terminal - How long does it take you to load?

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
Okay... this annoys me...

How many "bounces" does it take to load terminal on your system?

Normally it takes 9 on mine, but since the last update... it took 33 on the first launch and 21 on the second.

What is up with that? Its just TERMINAL!

It should load in 1 or 2 bounces in my opinion.

Admin

Terminal has always taken at least 9 hops to launch on my machine, G4/500, even since the early days of the Public Beta. Since upgrading to 10.1.2, it took between 22 & 31 to launch. Running fsck -y in single user mode fixed some things, and now I am down to 14 hops to launch, every single time. This happens even after the system finishes booting.

I have G4/500 with 256ram. Don't know!

Admin

Well, I did run it until it said OK... which that happened on the 2nd run. I just rebooted and did it 5 more times, even though it said OK each time. It took 18 bounces.

Everything else seems to run fairly well. System Prefs in 2, IE in 2, Sherlock in 1, console in 3, disk utility in 3, itunes in 2, mail in 2.

I don't know... Terminal has ALWAYS been slow.

Hmmm...

Admin

That's weird; my G4/500DP, 512M (10.1.1), loads in 2 or 3 bounces. If everything else is good, maybe Terminal.app needs an update to its binding info (update_prebinding -root /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)?

After doing the above, it took 24 bounces. :)

:rolleyes:

Guess I have a pet project now...

Admin

Hi,

I, too, have noticed a really substantial slowdown in Terminal load time in OSX 10.1.2. It used to take 4 bounces (or 6) on my TiBook 667. But after upgrading to OSX 10.1.2, it takes considerably, noticeably longer. My configuration is:

TiBook 667 Standard 30 Gig model
all latest patches (both OSX and OS9)
developer pack
samba
virtual pc 5.0

The *only* thing I did between decent and bad terminal startups was apply OSX 10.1.2. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very curious to know (is there any way to get Apple actually involved? I have not yet found a good place on their site to get answers to questions like this). My email is abrams@philos.umass.edu and other contact info should be visible in my profile. I'll try to check back here as well.

Thanks everybody!

-ZeroAltitude

For grins, I downloaded the latest and greatest developer tools and well, no help... although, I must admit... aside from this one minor issue, 10.1.2 rocks. In fact, I am finding it hard to say, screw it, I am going back to 9.2.2.

Glad to see the OS maturing.

Admin

I agree with Admin -- I still love OSX and the last update, while slightly annoying re: boot times and some app startups (see my post in General for more details under ths OSX 10.1.2 thread), *does* speed up some apps, and likely has many nice perks that I don't even know yet (yes, I'm in my 2nd hour of OSX 10.1.2 ;)

Now, here is more info regarding my Terminal case:

I have noticed that on my *first* run of Terminal, it takes 9 bounces on my TiBook 667, up from about 4 to 6. So that's not bad. If, however, I launch Terminal *right after logging in, while the extra 10.1.2 services I perceive to be starting up are still chattering the disk (again, see my post in the General Thread under 10.1.2)*, **then** it takes super long for Terminal to startup.

However, my second startup of Terminal (and my startup of even pretty big apps like Word for X) take a spiffy 3 to 5 bounces.

Annoying, irksome... this terminal thing, but damn, I'm still loving my OSX. I wish we could talk more directly to Apple, tho'. I want to know when OSX 10.1.3 is coming out ;) -- window resizing is still a pain, how slow it is.

-ZeroAltitude

Admin: you wouldn't happen to be running your Terminal with a transparent window effect, would you? I do, and I believe that slows things down a *tad*.

I hadn't up until tonight when I was playing around with it. But, it was slow well before I made such modifications. :)

Admin

OS X seems to be very finicky(SP?). On some people's machines it runs great, on others, it runs OK and on others still, it runs like s---. I've experienced this myself. My latest install of OS X(not due to it screwing up but due to me installing a new drive) is much better than my last one, I don't know why.
I suppose Apple just hasn't worked out the quirks yet.

Have you tried removing the Terminal preferences file? How long does Terminal take to load if you create a brand new user and launch it as that user?

On my system Terminal takes a long time to load but I always assumed it was because I have more than a hundred fonts. Now I'll have to check and see whether it's the fonts or something else.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is Admin's tcsh configuration files. Terminal will parse these during initialization and could be waiting for an event to time out or fail producing these long launch times. Quick test (as genecutl mentions) is to make a fresh user account and observe Terminal under "stock Apple" configuration settings. If of coarse you did not alter Wilfred Sanchez's global tcsh files (usr/share/init/tcsh/xxx) the test should be valid.

Loads consistently with 3 bounces on both cubes and 8 on my iMac. Subsequent launches on the iMac took 5 and 2-3 on the cubes.

At this point, I use the stock config setting, until I start using OS X full time, I will then start making modifications.

Admin

Back