That Will Be a Speech

domih

Registered
Go to: http://www.usenix.org/events/bsdcon02/tech.html

You'll read:

<<...
Keynote
UNIX: Not Just for Geeks Anymore . . .
Brett Halle, Director, Core OS Engineering, Apple Computer, Inc.
UNIX on the desktop has been the holy grail in our industry for many years. With BSD now showing up at the corner consumer electronics store, the attainment of that grail contains many implications for the future of software development. We will examine the challenges and opportunities ahead of us in this brave new world.
...>>

I don't know if Apple went to previous BSDCon but that's reassuring to see them being present there (the schedule shows several tracks with Apple people). The good news is that if one or two MacWorld a year for a dose of truth are not enough for you, you can now also go to the BSD conferences.

New Good Old Saying: Linux is Unix, MacOS X is Unix, Windows is... Well, two down, one to go.

halle_brett.jpg

Brett Halle

Thanks to Brett and Apple's amazing team of NeXT transplants and BSD gurus we have the best mix of Unix and the desktop currently in existence, and it's only going to continue to get better. For the BSD community there's no stigma attached to commercial use of the technology, and it's refreshing to see members of the Apple team being recognized for their artistic and technical achievements. You won't find a lot of that at those sites named after punctuation marks.

Later in the afternoon I see there's another talk by Apple...

SystemStarter and the Mac OS X Startup Process
Wilfredo Sánchez and Kevin Van Vechten

That's a subject I'd like to know more about. I hope there'll be transcripts available.

Don't get me wrong, the title made me laugh ("brave new world" too) and I would tend to say the same thing you wrote. I'm sorry if the message conveyed something else.

I would be more reserved on the "commercial" side of the story though. True that Apple recognizes the contributions from the open source people in comparison to, let's say Microsoft (the infamous Kerberos story for instance), but the goal of a commercial enterprise is to make money (a good thing in itself) so at some point, non technical choices are made. Innocent example: the Apple 10.1.1 paper is full of "improves", "addresses", "enables" and "resolves". Which you have to translate into "fixes (the bug)" and "implements (the stuff we did not have time to write because we had to ship the thing)".

> SystemStarter and the Mac OS X Startup Process
> Wilfredo Sánchez and Kevin Van Vechten
> That's a subject I'd like to know more about. I hope there'll be transcripts available.

Did you take a look at:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/documentation/howto/html/SystemStarter_HOWTO.html

Back