the DOCK...

Nummi

happy (again)
Does anyone think the dock needs to leave? Or does anyone want an option to put the dock into the top right corner... like the app switcher in 9> I mean... the dock is realy cool, and fun to play with, but I think it is a big waste of space. It is just always getting in the way. Or do I need to stay away from the crack? Maybe there isnt realy a dock? Maybe I am dreaming? Am I stuck in a dream... with OS X. But in the real world... OS X is not out yet? ahahaha... no more crack for me. But seriously... dock is waste-o-space?

Ya know... I bet everyone here has already talked about this... maybe I should have looked around first before typing this.

Nummi :)

I like the dock but I was having trouble with it getting in the way when I attempt to resize a window. I used to auto-hide but that broke when I installed 10.1.2. (At least it didn't unhide while I was dragging something to the trash.)

Because of that I can't auto-hide it anymore. I liked your idea of putting it in the top right corner so I just did it using tinker tool.

What do you mean with Tinker Tool? I do not mean... pin at the top. I mean... the dock... like the old app switcher in OS 9. You click on icon at the top right corner.. and menu comes down... with all running apps. but in X, you could have running apps, non running apps, folders... ect.

I'm sure the Dock could stand some improvements, like maybe a tabbed design for further separating stuff, but I think it's pretty much there.  Plus, the autohiding works for me, and I'm in OS X 10.1.2, so it's perfect. I dunno what went wrong with your upgrade, vanguard, but you should get it fixed, otherwise I'm sure I would be annoyed too.

Nummi: If you want that, just download ASM, a freeware application switcher for OS X. It's perfect. Here: I'll provide a screenshot.

Attachments

• finderscreensnapz002.gif
    finderscreensnapz002.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 83
well i don't find asm to be a replacement for the dock. they serve very different but equally important tasks. I forget what the name of it is, might be the tinkertool that was mentioned, but there is one that actually gives a launch menu along with app switching. i am with simx on the bad upgrade theory. My dock has never worked better since the upgrade. (and i am like boi - an official breaker of macs):p

I downloaded ASM. I love it. Now, it needs to go one step farther. we need to be able to put folders in it... and apps that are not running. (everything that the dock can do) And.... oh... how about some animation, like the dock?

yeah, and why not its appearance? :) just put the dock in the top right corner with tinker tool. make it small, that'll serve you well, i guess.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
(and i am like boi - an official breaker of macs):p

say my name three times, and your macintosh will implode.

Originally posted by Nummi
I downloaded ASM. I love it. Now, it needs to go one step farther. we need to be able to put folders in it... and apps that are not running. (everything that the dock can do) And.... oh... how about some animation, like the dock?

Geez, are you really sure you hate the dock? Sounds like you just want the dock in the upper right hand corner.

Here's your solution: pin it to the top right corner. turn off the magnification, turn the bouncing off, set it to hide.

There's your app switcher/apple menu/etc.

I downloaded and tried FruitMenu by Unsanity. It's just like the Apple Menu of old. I wouldn't mind having a separate launcher menu either - but I find the Dock works great for that anyways because I keep a folder full of aliases in the Dock, broken down by category of course. And a custom icon makes it look better than a boring old folder too.

Originally posted by Nummi
What do you mean with Tinker Tool? I do not mean... pin at the top. I mean... the dock... like the old app switcher in OS 9. You click on icon at the top right corner.. and menu comes down... with all running apps. but in X, you could have running apps, non running apps, folders... ect.

I have my dock in the upper right corner now. I switched to apple because of OSX (like a lot of tech people) so I'm sorry but I don't get the OS9 references. Prior to OSX I wouldn't go near a mac.

For anybody who is interested, my auto-hiding is working now. I have full confidence that it was broken after the 10.1.2 upgrade. I struggled with it for 15 minutes. In addition to that, I saw other people in this forum who had the same problem (it wouldn't unhide if you were dragging something to the trash but it would work if you weren't dragging anything).

I don't know the fix. I just tried it again and now it's working. Maybe it's related to moving it?

Back