The most stupid question you ever read! GARANTIED

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
Ok, I might look like a real fool, but just to defend myself: I am not! I know very well to do programming and use UNIX the way I should, but since I have an Apple ibook and Mac OS X, I am trying to fit the looking the way I like it!

I downloaded a jpg-picture and wanted to make it become my background! And there we are! All those other files are jpeg's as well, but why is this one not working? I can't select it at all, but still I can see it in this viewer from Mac.

Any idea?

(Isn't that weird???)

tnx

Sam

did you try dragging the file into the Desktop picture well? If that doesn't work then there must be something wrong with the format of the jpeg.

does the icon look like a standard ".jpg" document icon in Mac OSX? Or does it look like a blank document?

What opens the file when you double click on it?

Zammy.

Try opening the jpeg in a graphics program. My guess is that it's not a complete file. Did you download this file? Just putting the .jpg extension on it won't make it a jpeg.

If your graphics program will open it, do a save as and select jpeg again. After doing that, your system should recognize it as a jpeg.

Hi Zammy-Sam,
first of all there are no stupid questions only stupid answers.
coming to your problem' don't ask me why but have you tried restarting your commputer? For some reason the same thing happened to me, and I knew the file wasn't corrupted so than I restarted the Computer and hey presto it worked. Than again yours might be a complete different problem but try it out anyway.

Hi, thanks for your reply!!!

Well, I went to www.photo-background.com and clicked on one file a file.
This file opened in a ie-window and got displayed in the original size and I just clicked on save file to disc.

After that (the file has extension jpg) I opened it with Graphic Converter 4.2.1.
No problem! File was visible completly! The point is, that the icon for this file looks like the picture it shows. The other files in that Desktop-background folder look different conserning the icons. So, are there different versions of jpegs? Does it have anything to do with the compression algorithm?

Well, since I have Graphic Convert, I tried to convert in several formats like bmp, tiff, and finally again jpg...

No luck!

It's really weird!
Don't want to give that wonderful background that I found up... :)

Tnx again for your help!

I had one JPG picture that I got off the web that wouldn't load as a background picture either. I did get it to work though. Here's how:

1. I put the picture in my user's picture's folder.

2. I set it as my desktop picture in the Desktop Control panel. (Had to pick "Pictures Folder" from the Collection drop down menu).

course, you've gone this far too, I suppose, then nothing happened. Bring up step #3:

3. Log out/log in.

There was only 1 time I had to do this. All other pics have been fine. *shrug*.

you could get info on the file and force that particular .jpg file to open with preview.... that should change it to a quicktime image icon and enable the OS to work with it a bit easier.

just a thought.

does this happen with all of the images on that site?
If not, can you post the a link to the background image you want to use. I'll check it out.
I managed to get one to work from that site no problem.:confused:

Every once in a while I simply will not be able to change my background, a re-login usually fixes it. You may just want to convert the photo to another format, I think it plays better with some types.

BTW I have a good question that was asked in my chemistry class the other day:

Is fire a solid, liquid or gas? My chem teacher told her that it was a mystical entitiy.

That's a trick question, Fire is neither a gas, liquid or solid.

The answer to that questions is that a flame (or what is more commonly called just Fire) is a reaction or a combustion of a vapor or a gas, but it's not actually a gas at all.

The ancients believed that all things were made up of fire, earth, air and water... well they were almost right, being that you could burn your hand by the power of fire, it must be a thing right? Wrong.

Today we have only refer to the elements, gas, liquid and solid.

What you're seeing when you look at fire is a molecular reaction... an explosion of molecules. In order for the explosion to occur it requires the mixture of oxygen.

This question is more of a trick question then it should be because popular culture often refers to Fire as it's own thing, when in fact it's not at all. Fire is the word we use to describe a commonly used chemical reaction.

Please except my apologies for getting off the topic of this thread, I realize some people are very sensitive to that. By me posting, please don't let it promote the postings of off topic subject matter. We can pick this discussion up in another fourm.

I had a similar situation

When wanting to add a .jpg file as my desktop, where the file i wanted was
greyed out in the choose folder option.

My solution was to open the folder that the file was in, while having the desktop picture preferance panel option open, then simply drag the .jpg file into the picture well.

It then displayed the picture that was previously indicated greyed out on the desktop.

Hope this solves your problem.

cheers

Something else it might be:
You opened it in GraphicConvertor 4.21, right? Then, you tried to set it as your desktop background, and it wouldn't change. You were perhaps even able to select it in the Desktop preference pane, and its thumbnail appeared in the well, but the desktop itself just didn't change?
GC 4.21 has a bug that prevents the desktop from switching if you perform certain system operations (particularly if you use GC's 'set image as desktop picture' option). I know that if I used GC 4.21 to edit a desktop picture, I would have this problem. It was usually solved by logging out and back in, then going into the preferences and switching.

Back