The Results: Apple in 10 years

LVzardoz

Registered
These are results from an identical poll taken on the MacNN forum and on the forums of two popular web hosts. As you can see, there is little similarity between what Mac-centric users think is Apple's future and what other computer users believe may be Apple's future. There were 44 votes tallied in the MacNN forum and 21 votes tallied in the web hosts forums.

Apple's Future in 10 years - MacNN and (Dathorn/JaguarPC)

1. 75% (14%) - Increase marketshare to 15%
  2. _9% (14%) - Drops marketshare from 3% to 1%
  3. _7% (19%) - OS X on both PPC and Intel/AMD
  4. _2% (14%) - OS X becomes premium top layer to Linux
  5. _2% (10%) - OS X on Intel/AMD
  6. _2% (10%) - Apple owned by Sony, etc.
  7. _0% (14%) - Apple effectively controlled by Microsoft
  8. _2% (_5%) - Apple becomes software company
  9. _2% (_0%) - Apple owned by IBM
    [/list=1]
    A MacNN User response:
    Originally posted by Tatran68:
    Would you take your Porsche to a cheap mechanic who's used to working on Chevy Luminas? No. Why? They don't know the car very well. I'm positive that if you took 'apple fan's' expectations for Apple they'd be a lot more 'on course' than the average PC shmuck.

In 10 years, I'm betting the MacNN forum poll is more correct.

- Rob
    A JaguarPC hosting user response:
    Originally posted by jason
    It looks like the concensus here is that we like OS X, we just won't want to be seen buying Mac hardware. :) The other results make sense, though: Mac users have an affinity to Apple like we have one to Intel/AMD/whoever (I dare not say MS here, I know plenty of PC users, myself included, who would be happy to drop MS products in a second if we could get away with it... ) or to the general concept of the PC.

--Jason

Apple will never become software-only because they get something like 93% of their profits from selling hardware. Most of the software they sell is the OS, and that comes with new computers free of charge. They'd never sell out to Sony or M$ because they are quite healthy right now, and Steve Jobs isn't a chickenshit like that.

Back