The Sims on OS X?

ksignorini

Registered
Can someone please answer the following questions for me regarding The Sims on the Mac:

1. First of all, is the game designed for OS X or is it a Classic game?

And since you're here:

2. Are gameplay, commands, speed, etc. the same as on the PC version?

3. Do cheats for money, etc. that work on the PC version work on the Mac version?

4. Can new items that have been created by users, that I download off the Internet (like new furniture, etc.) that worked in my PC version work in the Mac version? Do I need to do some kind of conversion on them?

5. Are there any recommended item generators, character editors, or anything like that available to run under OS X?

Thanks for answering my stupid questions. Truth be told, it's my wife that wants to buy the game because her sister plays the PC version all day long, but my wife isn't interested unless she can do the same things as her sister and share new items, etc.

Kent!

Kent

1. On my old G4, I had to boot in 9 to instal, but on my current machine (dp G4) it installed in X.
2. Don't know.
3. The money cheat certainly does!
4. Mostly, yes. Check out the Well Dressed Sim site (sorry, don't have the URL to hand) for instructions on how to adapt skins, etc. for Macs, when necessary. I've downloaded items from this site which work seamlessly.
5. Don't know.

Just waiting for Unleashed to be delivered - there goes another day's work.

1. It is an OSX game, however, somehow it needed Classic to install. Someone told me there is an update for that available (no need for Classic anymore), but didn't use it, so don't know if it is working.

2. Yes, totally the same. The Sims was my fav game on the PC, when I finally got to my sences (after 18 years) and switched to Mac, The Sims was my first game to buy. It is exactly the same.

3. Yes, also the same.

4. I have no idea, but since the structure of folders and files also seems exactly alike, I think everything that doesn't use an .exe to install should work.

5. Don't know.

I believe it must be installed in Classic, but there is a patch from Aspyr that will Carbonize the application, so that it doesn't have to be run in Classic.
I have never used the PC version, however the Mac ran plenty fast on my old iMac DV. I haven't played it yet on my new iBook, but I have it installed, and a test start worked fine.
All the normal cheats work fine, but I had to use the cheat 'rosebud' to get extra money, because the other one didn't work. Also 'rosebud' is much easier to type. :)
All of the user created items can be added, I do not remember exactly where I had to put them right at this moment, but it was a folder somewhere in The Sims directory. Contrary to what iRuben said, the .exe item files can be used with the Mac version of the game. This is because these particular .exe files are not actually PC executables, they are purely .zip files, which, on the PC, will locate and your Sims directory and, when opened, will automatically put the new item in the proper place. However, you can drag the .exe file onto Stuffit Expander, and it will unzip just like a normal .zip file. Then you can just drag the unzipped file into the correct folder.
You can also use things like new skins, this is, again, just a matter of finding the correct place to put them.
I don't know about item generators, but there is an application from Aspyr which allows you to edit the 'Sims', for example, change the head, or put a different body shape on them. These new Sims can be accessed when you make a new family.

This was probably a bit longer than you wanted, but I hope I answered your questions!

Thanks everyone!

By the way, does anyone know if there is an editor out that that will let you edit the money of a family directly--that is, AFTER the family is created, but BEFORE they buy their starting house?

I saw one on the PC (can't remember what it was called) and it worked great. I think it was a "trainer" or something--you pressed certain keys right after creating the family and it edited their money instantly. We know the "rosebud" cheat, but we would like to have the money BEFORE buying the first house...

Anyway, if there is an editor or "trainer" or something like that available for the Mac version, could someone please post...

btw: We went and bought The Sims, Livin' Large, and Hot Date this evening. It rocks.

Thanks.
Kent!

Originally posted by ksignorini
Thanks everyone!

By the way, does anyone know if there is an editor out that that will let you edit the money of a family directly--that is, AFTER the family is created, but BEFORE they buy their starting house?

my best sugestion would be to use rosebud followed by ;! or !; repeditly
rosebud;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!; ect. and then copy the whole thing and paste it again in the cheet box (comand-shift-p?)
do it right after moving them in and pause the game.

5. there are HARDLY any apps for any mac os that help you. but there are a lot of mac simers out there!

Back