The Undeleteable Folders

cognitiveg

Registered
Alright dont think that I have not done any research. I have tried just about every program I can download to delete these stupid things and nothing has worked.
So I have a time machine. I am using the time machine as an external drive and as back up. The folders I am trying to delete are not part of the back up. Its just a series of folders as you can see below they are all empty. When I Command I the folder it says its unlocked yet the folder has a lock key on it...sometimes... I have tried the secure delete I have tired the sudo stuff nothing works. It keeps giving me the same errors either the file is in use or I don't have permissions. I have tried both wirelessly and using an Ethernet to connect to the time machine neither have worked.

Any Ideas?

The below is using the Terminal

Chris-MacBookPro4-1:~ Chris$ sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Time\ Capsule/myfoldertodelete
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/RECYCLER/S-1-5-21-2052111302-1563985344-839522115-1003/Dh42/MoveToExternal/My Pictures: Permission denied
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/RECYCLER/S-1-5-21-2052111302-1563985344-839522115-1003/Dh42/MoveToExternal: Directory not empty
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/RECYCLER/S-1-5-21-2052111302-1563985344-839522115-1003/Dh42: Directory not empty
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/RECYCLER/S-1-5-21-2052111302-1563985344-839522115-1003: Directory not empty
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/RECYCLER: Directory not empty
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/Unsorted_Music/090207_AllMusic/iTunes Music_2/Podcasts/By Artist/Kid Rock/Cocky: Permission denied
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/Unsorted_Music/090207_AllMusic/iTunes Music_2/Podcasts/By Artist/Kid Rock: Directory not empty
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/Unsorted_Music/090207_AllMusic/iTunes Music_2/Podcasts/By Artist/Rage Against the Machine: Permission denied
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/Unsorted_Music/090207_AllMusic/iTunes Music_2/Podcasts/By Artist: Directory not empty
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/Unsorted_Music/090207_AllMusic/iTunes Music_2/Podcasts: Directory not empty
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/Unsorted_Music/090207_AllMusic/iTunes Music_2: Directory not empty
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/Unsorted_Music/090207_AllMusic: Directory not empty
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete/Unsorted_Music: Directory not empty
rm: /Volumes/Time Capsule/myfoldertodelete: Directory not empty

Please Help Me!

What is it with music files and permissions? I've having the same issue on an external drive with Time Machine.

I've gone as far as trying to set permissions with chmod with no success. And unfortunately Disk Utility does not allow you to Repair Permissions on a Time Machine Backup drive.

I've gone in manually and gotten the Info window up on a file and unchecked the Locked box but there are still folders I can't rename or delete.

So then I resorted to Terminal. No amount of chmod has worked so far. I don't know if it's related but there's a mysterious "+" that appears after some of the offending files, such as:

RMac:Other RMac$ ls -l
total 0
drwxrwxr-x+ 38 RMac staff 1394 Jul 29 12:09 CantRenameThisOneWTF
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 nobody staff 646 Jul 29 11:37 ICanRenameThisOne

I'm logged in always as myself (RMac) and I can't rename a folder I own?! I've not been able to find out what the "+" at the end of the permissions means despite several searches and the man entry for ls. Apologies if the + is a red herring...I've no idea...!

This is just one example and there are many files and directories that have the same problem. I'd prefer not to connect another drive and copy and then let Disk Utility fix the problem unless it's the last resort.

I'm guessing a chmod command -R could work but something else needs to happen first, like perhaps chown or something along those lines...

Any permissions gurus out there? Help is much appreciated!!

RegularJoe

Back