Thinking about buying a Touch

speXedy

Think Different
... the main reason I would want it would be for the internet. I love the fact that it can have full web browser, but i would only want it if I could use it for what I need it for. And the main reason I want a portable internet would be ... to search how much stuff is going for on eBay. Is there anyway to make it so that you could hook it up to a cell phone, or maybe apple has thought about having a service to just have monthly internet? Is the 100% out of the question. Some little thrift shops might have wireless internet but I doubt it.. so i thought i'd ask.

As with anything, it depends on your priorities. My music library (just) fits within 14 GB. Therefore, I was not desperate for more storage and the iPod Touch was fine at 16 GB. Note that you get less storage than the full 16 GB, it ends up being more like 14.8 GB or so, if my memory serves me correctly.

I was interested in using a new iPod for music and for video, but the new features of the iPhone and iPod Touch interested me. The contract and smaller capacity of the iPhone put me off, so I looked mainly at the iPod Touch. I liked the touchscreen interface, th flash RAM (faster and more robust), the internet access looked very useful, and the ability to keep an address book and (editable) calendar on it meant it was potentially very useful! I don't just use the iPod Touch as a device for playing audio and video, but also as an organizer and for access to E-Mail and the web. All in all, I'm very happy with it and thoroughly recommend it! Actually, after having seen mine, two colleagues at work have gone on to buy iPod Touches too...

Sooo, I'd say the iPod Classic is useful if you need the high end capacity, but otherwise I think the iPod Touch is more fun and more useful. :)

As for internet access in general, I'm not aware of a way of connecting it to a cell phone (via Wi-Fi, I suppose) for internet access.

Of course, you can use free Wi-Fi access in some places anyway but there are other places where you'd be charged. In the UK, there is a deal with The Cloud to provide iPod touch users access to thousands of Wi-Fi hotspots around the UK, for £3.99 per month, with no contract. I'm tempted, but not sure I'd use it enough to justify it!

I like the looks of the iPod touch. The idea of being able to surf the web on a handheld device that doubles as my music player is very appealing, since wifi is pretty easy to find these days, so it could make for a handy way to check email and stay in touch. It would also be a fairly nice e-book reader - I could see myself flicking through a few textbooks or articles in bed, before calling it a night - even with the lights off it would be fairly good (a nice implementation of Tofu would really be great on the Touch).

However, at this stage the Touch is priced a little too high for my tastes. I just can't come at spending quite that much on a pocket music player. I expect it'll come down fairly soon, though, so I'll look at it again in a few months.

I like my iPod touch very much. As an internet-tablet it's restricted. Though better than any smartphone or PDA browser, it's still a very small screen, simply put. And no, there's _no_ other way to connect to the internet, WiFi is it.

It's the best portable multimedia player bar none, though.

Yes, I can understand the price is a bit off-putting. I suppose it depends on how you'd use yours, but, for me, I'd disagree with calling it a "pocket music player." Although music is my priority with the iPod Touch, it does a lot more than that and I have used the additional features frequently.

I suspect that the price won't drop much in the near future, I think it is more likely the price will stay the same and they might increase the capacity.

Back