This should get you all thinking

don_ie

Registered
I have a 15" Powerbook. Great battery, but needs to be charged now and then.

Funny thing is, there is one group of power outlets in my house where something strange happens. My battery charges for a while and then the little light at the Powerbook end of the cable goes out (neither orange for charging or green for charged). If I disconnect the plug and reconnect, it starts to work again ... orange.

This doesn't happen anywhere else!

Can anybody explain why?

Don

Yes, intermittent power at an outlet cost me the whole charging system on a pre-G3 system. It seems to me the heat affects your outlet and at one point breaks the circuit. It cools and then reconnects.

You definitely want to have it checked out.

Forget about losing the charging system, loose electrical connections can cause fire.

Not so strange if there's a connection loose. I'd call an electrician if I were you.

In Australia, you go to the fuse box and turn the main switch off and turn off the fuse, if it is a micro-switch and/or remove the fuse insulator, if it is just a wire fuse. There may be more than one power fuse.. to be on the safe side, test them by pulling them one by one and seeing what no logner works, because you don't want your freezer defrosting or your stove to be dead. You only need to disable the power circuit that the power point is on. You can of course, just leave the main switch off and do the job relatively quickly.
Then you go with your screwdriver and replace the powerpoint as we call them here. These are available in all the supermarkets or an electrical sore, at least they are here. They are held in by two concealed screws. It is a relatively simple job to unscrew each wire and swap them one by one to the new power point. Just make sure that you do nothing silly, is all you need to remember. Once you have swapped the wires and replaced it onto the wall securely, you can go back to the power box, where you replace the fuse and re-test your power point. If the problem still persists then now is the time to call the electrician.

An electrician told me once that all electrical outlets, especially ones that have sockets plugged in and out need replacing at least every 10 years. So try replacing the socket, but make sure the circuit is dead first, otherwise you may be operating worse than your powerbook.

Back