Tiger vs Panther - hardware requirements

filipesa

Registered
Hi,

I have a recent iBook G4 1.2Ghz with 256 RAM. I bought an extra 256RAM module because i thought the system was too sluggish... didnt install it yet.

My question is... Panther seems already too heavy for this 1.2Ghz iBook (at least with litle RAM) - How does Tiger handle ?

Does it make the mac run slower than with Panther ? If not, i will consider the chance to get Tiger and get more gadgets.
If it is slower, i think ill just stick with Panther, it works just fine.

Thank you !

See about upgrading your memory to at least 512, more if you can. OS X likes more memory and functions better with more memory. The 256 MB is just enough to allow you to do simple things, but will bog down from thrashing the hard drive for extra memory when working with intensive apps.

As for the iBook itself, I believe you're golden with that system. Just upgrade the memory and you should be OK.

Mac's generally last a long time... as long as you load them up with memory. I am using a 350MHz G3 right now, 512MB RAM, runs very well.

I have a 800MHz iBook G4 which is actually crippled in comparison to your iBook(256k L2 Cache) and I am planning on getting Tiger right away, I plan on it running faster than panther.

Your iBook has 256MB of ram built in and you have the extra 256 to give you 512, which should be pretty solid. Usually I find that there is a certain threshold in respect to RAM that you need to get above for performance to improve. For example 128 on Windows XP can be pretty brutal, but I have found that going to even 192MB can help out a lot. On my Mac it felt like 256MB was kind of the hump that you need to get over, once you are higher than that it gets much better. Of course, more is always better :-D

Tiger should be the same or faster on that iBook. The UI speed has increased so that alone should make it seem faster.

My iMac was extremely sluggish in Jaguar with 256MB RAM. I now have 768MB RAM which made a HUGE difference. Then I went to Panther and things got even faster. I assume that Tiger will be even faster.

Captain Code said:
Tiger should be the same or faster on that iBook. The UI speed has increased so that alone should make it seem faster.

Thank you for the answers.

This is what i am looking for really - diferences of speed in Panther vs Tiger .
I know for granted that more memory means more speed of course !
But what i dont know is : Does Tiger run faster or slower than Panther ?

Does anyone has TESTED the actual upgrade without hardware changes ?
Or are just guesses?

I'm guessing it should run okay, but I've been wondering the same thing as far as the speed issue goes. I'm on an eMac 700mhz, it seems to get bogged down right now in Panther so I'm hoping Tiger helps out with that ... really hoping. I've got 640 mb of ram, too! Oh well...

filipesa said:
Thank you for the answers.

This is what i am looking for really - diferences of speed in Panther vs Tiger .
I know for granted that more memory means more speed of course !
But what i dont know is : Does Tiger run faster or slower than Panther ?

Does anyone has TESTED the actual upgrade without hardware changes ?
Or are just guesses?

Aside from developers that have had Tiger for some time now, we won't know until it's actually released on the 29th. Check for some benchmarks between Panther and Tiger once Tiger is released.

A 1.2Ghz G4 is a fairly powerful processor.

But with only 256MB of RAM you are only giving it the bare minimum.

Boost the RAM and you will feel/see a huge difference.
Tiger will run slightly faster than Panther.
Just as Panther runs faster than Jaguar.

Haven't upgrade the hardware, since I'm planning to sell my G3 iBook to a friend and get a new laptop, and what I've experienced is a faster startup process, and a small little improvement in the apps I'm running...

Back