Tiger won't start except in Safe Boot

korr

Registered
I have an iBookG4, with OSX.4.11. Start and get kernel panic. Starts fine with Safe Boot. memtest shows memory is fine. Disk Utility, TechTool Deluxe show no problem. Fixing permissions does not help.

Tried reinstalling system from a purchased Tiger DVD, but the disk thinks the computer is a desktop, and asks for a mouse. Attaching a mouse, it does not allow me to choose the hard drive to install.

"Kernal panic" to me means "hardware problem"--which is often memory. But if you have Memtest . . . I doubt that is it.

Reads like you need the original disks that came with the computer . . . which you do not have most likely. There are inexpensive sources for these--you can PM me for suggestions.

While waiting for that you may try the formal hardware test. I do not, myself, know if you can do that in Safe Boot to make sure it is just not fried System software.

--J.D.

"Kernal panic" to me means "hardware problem"--which is often memory. But if you have Memtest . . . I doubt that is it.

Reads like you need the original disks that came with the computer . . . which you do not have most likely. There are inexpensive sources for these--you can PM me for suggestions.

While waiting for that you may try the formal hardware test. I do not, myself, know if you can do that in Safe Boot to make sure it is just not fried System software.

--J.D.
Thank you. I was surprised to discover that I do not have these original disks. It may take me sometime to dig some up. My daughter resists using Leopard because she still likes some OS9 Apps. I'll locate some iBook G4 system disks and try using these.

I'm unclear why I cannot install using a purchased Tiger installation disk. I have another old G4 iBook. Perhaps I can install it from the Tiger disk through firewire disk mode.

Thanks once more for the excellent tip!

Am I wrong to suspect the issue is software if it SafeBoots and passes memtest (extensions off?)

Thank you. I was surprised to discover that I do not have these original disks. It may take me sometime to dig some up. My daughter resists using Leopard because she still likes some OS9 Apps. I'll locate some iBook G4 system disks and try using these.

IF she is using a non-Intel chip, she can partition her HD and put a REAL OS 9--updated-on that and run OS 10.4-5 on the other. I think 10.5 is losing "Classic" support--it just may be my new Intel chip did not like it . . . my NEW BLAZING FAST [Get on with it!--Ed.]--but when I had that situation with my Old Widdle Pismo, some things preferred a "REAL" OS 9. Rarely did I ever have to boot into the OS 9 partition . . . save when I had to fix a FUBAR I created which became the subject of my first thread HERE I think . . .

Make sure the partition for OS X is the FIRST one--all of that partitioning crap can be done through setting up her HD with Disk Utility.

Now . . . for you:

I'm unclear why I cannot install using a purchased Tiger installation disk. I have another old G4 iBook. Perhaps I can install it from the Tiger disk through firewire disk mode.

Some of them--a lot of them--are machine specific. The "Black Ones" with the big "X" are "universal" as in you could purchase them from an Apple Authorized Dealer [Tm.--Ed.] and use them in pretty much every machine. The "Grey" ones only work for the computer model that came with it--thus my old grey OS 9 only worked on a Pismo Powerbook and not on other Macs.

You are going to want these disks. Some day . . . and that day may never come . . . I may call upon you to do me a favor [No Brando quotes!--Ed.] . . . you may have to fix your System. You will want the ability to clean install, archive and install, and all of that. Again, PM for list of dealers who will not charge you the literal arm and leg for these things.

Am I wrong to suspect the issue is software if it SafeBoots and passes memtest (extensions off?)

I am not a "Guru" or "Gear-Head." Terminal is a Doorway to Unspeakable Knowledge Man was Not Meant to Know. I appears that it is not a hardware issue. Memtest IMMEDIATELY diagnosed a "failing" RAM chip that other tests did not discover--which sorted out my kernal panics. When researching them they tend to be the result of hardware or at least a stressed hardware--you are just trying to do too much. This I did once or twice on my Old Pismo.

A Guru may tell you otherwise, but I think at this stage you need to fix your system. So you need the System Disks. With them, I believe, you can run the very, very, very long hardware test of your Mac to confirm it is not something else.

--J.D.

Back